Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2012, 10:32 AM   #16

WR is not important to me, I am satisfied with the set of signatures / signature look, I've got every opportunity (except WR), from 12mm to 110mm aperture f4, for shallow dof 50/1, 7 and 28/2, 8, for telephoto 110 to 300mm aperture on f5, 6

10-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by athlantar Quote
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some input on my lens roadmap. I've been shooting for alittle over a year (started with the K-r and 18-55 + 55-300 DA L) and I'd like to upgrade out of the kit lenses. I'm finding that they leave me wanting and when I'm out and about shooting I'm switching between the two kit lenses frequently. I've been able to tame my LBA for so long - but once I have a good plan I'll be able to start buying some glass!

Where I am:
Pentax K-r
Pentax DA L 18-55mm kit
Pentax DA L 55-300mm kit
Pentax FA 50mm f1.4
Pentax M 100mm f4 (macro)
Tamron 06A 200-500mm F6.9

I usually only pull out the macro or f1.4 if I see something that tickles my fancy. I don't tend to take the Tamron out of the house (where it's normally put to work in an extreme macro rig) unless I want blurry bird pictures (I need to practice with that monster).

In the short term I want to get a super wide lens (18mm often isn't enough and from the indepth reviews I think the Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 HSM would be great).

My long term plan is to keep a superzoom on my camera for my general shooting/walking around and have a super wide zoom handy in my bag. I think this would cut down significantly on my lens changes in the field, 55mm seems to be a be an inconvenient break point. I'm not sure if I want the Pentax DA WR 18-135 or the upcoming 18-270. The WR would be nice, and I'm concerned the 18-270 might have big compromises in IQ. However, if I got the 135, I'd probably still want to bring something longer along when going shooting and then I've only moved the 55mm breakpoint to 135mm. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on this?

Over the coming years I'd like to build up my prime collection and then bring those with me as my shooting requires. Does this plan make sense?

Thanks!
a long time ago I was an advocate of planning a lens setup as follows.

3-4 zooms (quantity is dependant on individual range, desired lens overlap etc) covering the range 10mm through 135-200mm with a plan to get to 400mm if you shot wild life, and as much of the range as possible at F2.8.

you would then fill in specialty needs with primes as you saw fit.

My own kit reflects this, sigma 10-20, tamron 28-75/2.8 and sigma 70-200/2.8 plus M42 prime kit from 16-300mm and K mount MF prime kit from 8-400mm

In almost 100% of the cases the primes are 1-2 stops faster at any focal length, than the zooms, but the zooms are all very good and very sharp.

This has been changed somewhat with the improved high ISO performance of later cameras but it is still a good way to go.

In your kit, the 10-20 or 12-24 is an obvious gap, I would fill that first, and then only replace the kit lenses if you are disappointed with IQ and / or want more speed.

then add what ever specialty lenses you want.

I would forget a 18-250 or any super zoom because generally the IQ will be worse than the kit lens and you give up a stop or two on speed. so why bother.
10-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Exposure Plot is a great way to analyze your own patterns and zero in on primes and such that are more likely to be used. If you shoot a lot at 80mm then how about a Rokinon 85/1.4 - its manual focus but its a superb performer.
10-21-2012, 05:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Exposure Plot is a great way to analyze your own patterns and zero in on primes and such that are more likely to be used. If you shoot a lot at 80mm then how about a Rokinon 85/1.4 - its manual focus but its a superb performer.
There are some problems using exposure plot. If your lens ends at a focal length of course you have a lot of shots at that FL, but does that mean you should get a prime there? Not necessarily it may mean you need either wider or longer, depending on the situation. Exposure plot tells you what you have done, not what you need

10-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
There are some problems using exposure plot. If your lens ends at a focal length of course you have a lot of shots at that FL, but does that mean you should get a prime there? Not necessarily it may mean you need either wider or longer, depending on the situation. Exposure plot tells you what you have done, not what you need

No, that requires a human being to thoughtfully interpret the data that ExposurePlot very accurately and neatly lays out.