Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brief Lens Comparison: The DAs and the FA and the Sigma

To pair up with the K-30, I managed to acquire the following:
Sigma 17-50 2.8 EX DC HSM
DA 35 2.4
DA 50 1.8
FA 43 1.9.

Out of curiosity and under the influence of caffeine, I decided to see how they fare at 2.4 and 2.8 compared to each other. The following is the result. Settings used were A-mode, IS-off as the camera was on the floor, 2 second timer, ISO Auto maxed out at 640. All lenses were micro-adjusted were micro-adjusted previously to what I felt was proper focus. At 50%, there is a difference in IQ agreed, but is the price difference for these lenses worth it.

Opinions, people ?

Attached Images

10-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Banned

Photos: Albums
Anyone else notice one of the more obvious differences betweetn the bottom two pics?
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Anyone else notice one of the more obvious differences betweetn the bottom two pics?
You mean other than the almost full stop difference in exposure?

I am a little curious about methodology. Was the camera moved to yield the equivalent image size to the sensor or were the images cropped and re-sized after exposure?

I would suggest that in future tests that you standardize on exposure (shoot in M mode) and ditch the 0.3 exposure compensation. I would also suggest that you use a more moderate ISO, say 200. Remember, you are testing lenses, not cameras. Remote release or self-timer (2s delay mode) are also a good idea if you are going to be shooting at such slow shutter speeds with SR turned off. Tripod?

In regards to the results, I can't honestly say that I would purchase any of the lenses in the comparison based on the images shown. I know that there is a lot of work in doing this kind of comparison, but they all look uniformly poor. Sorry.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-17-2012 at 08:19 PM.
10-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Steve for your input. I was not sure of the 'methodology ' myself which is why I thought of seeking the opinion of the more experienced folks here. Although I did use a 2 sec delay timer and the camera was firmly on the floor, I will try again with a tripod, manual settings and a lower ISO. The 35 I am definitely keeping, its the 50 and 43 Ltd I have to choose from.

10-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're keeping the 35 for sure, then you may want to choose the 50 over the 43 if only to have a more-different angle of view from the 35.