Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Boyer m42 adapter stuck in camera?

I'm hoping there's an easy answer to this one - just purchased a Boyer M42 adapter, and it works well with a screw mount lens I have, but when I went to remove the lens from the camera, the adapter seems stuck. The lens screws out of the adapter fine, but the adapter stays in the lens.

I can't seem to 'unlock' it any way with the weird wrench that comes with it - is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

Thanks!

02-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm not familiar with the Boyer, but I have a Bower adapter for my camera that uses the removal tool. It is a bit finicky to remove.

There should be a little spring clip on the adapter that locks it into place. This spring clip will need to be compressed by the tool so it can rotate past the mounting tab. In addition to compressing the spring clip, the tool can't be pushed in all the way, or it will not clear the metal tab either. So the tool needs to be compressing the clip, yet high enough to clear the metal tab when you try to twist it out. I hope that made some sense.
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fritz Quote
I'm not familiar with the Boyer, but I have a Bower adapter for my camera that uses the removal tool. It is a bit finicky to remove.

There should be a little spring clip on the adapter that locks it into place. This spring clip will need to be compressed by the tool so it can rotate past the mounting tab. In addition to compressing the spring clip, the tool can't be pushed in all the way, or it will not clear the metal tab either. So the tool needs to be compressing the clip, yet high enough to clear the metal tab when you try to twist it out. I hope that made some sense.

Does the spring clip need to be compressed towards the center of the camera or away from the center?

02-06-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Compressed towards the opening of the camera.

02-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I see what you mean now, but I got it off, thanks to this post about the exact same problem:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/15955-please-help-...ing-thing.html

Basically, I had to 'screw' the lens on further past two resistance points, until it rotated the full 360 degrees to the release point. I must have tightened the lens a bit too much when I originally put it on, and it went past the first resitance point. Holy crap. Not fun.

I think I need to follow everyone's advice and get a real Pentax branded adapter.

So, you have no problems with this adapter? Is there a way to ensure I'm putting it on right? I didn't hear a very loud 'click' locking the lens in place when I put it on....
02-06-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've had no problems at all with it. Works great for me. But I'm aware that many people have had problems with it. Another issue is the little screw on the spring clip backing out causing the clip to jam in the camera. Not good!

I don't really hear a click when it locks in. I just place the adapter in the opening, and give it a gentle twist until the clip clears the tab it locks on, and I feel a little resistance. When I mount the lens I don't crank down on them really hard either. Just gently snugged down enough that it will not back off while focusing or adjusting the aperture ring.

Eventually I'll look at getting the highly recommended genuine Pentax adapter, but for now this one works for me.

Glad you got it sorted out anyway.
02-06-2008, 09:14 PM   #7

i just got an adapter like that, i think it's a very horrible design. they say you have to screw the lens off of the adapter to get the adapter off. kinda overkill if you ask me

02-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These do work well but the usual issue is over tightening the lens on the body. I never do because the adapter is aluminum and will wear down on the threads over time if you over tighten. Many removal issues are because of this. It is not a big deal if the lens is not at the 12 o'clock position. Everything still works the same.

As for the screw on the tab. Take a jewelers screwdriver and get some krazy glue or better yet Lock-tight and loosen the screw back a few turns. Then a drop of Lock-tight and re-tighten. You never have to worry about it again.

FastP, this adapter is an after the fact addition. You have to remember that the screw mount was used by many brands and back then there was no consideration to using a bayonet mount. These are 30,40 + year old lenses. Who thought of Digital imaging when the SV was being sold.

There is another way if you want to take a drill to your lens, but I don't recommend it.
02-07-2008, 03:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You guys put the adapter on the lens first and then put that onto the camera? I've always put the adapter onto the camera and then mounted the lens to that. Of course, I have/use enough M42s that when my adapter is on the camera it generally stays there weeks at a time. Don't know if that makes a difference in installing habits.
02-07-2008, 06:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Mike if my post wasn't clear. The adapter goes on first, then the lens. That's also what Pentax recommends as well.

I was just saying that when adding the lens, don't over tighten. It can wear out the adapter threads and also push the adapter in the camera mount beyond the stops if tightened too much.
02-07-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Warnings on Bower adpater & M42->K conversion

I have a warning blog post on using Bower M42 adapter, it was great in the beginning, I even recommend the adapter to others. But after a while, when the spring clip is worn out, it get loose and the tiny screw and the spring clip fell apart trapped in between lens and the adapter ring. It took me 20 minutes of panic moment to remove the broken spring clip

Blog post of story and warning, and how I use adapter now
Warning on Bower M42 adapter - Hin's Tech Corner

And now, I remove the spring clip in my adapter and mount it permanently on my M42 lens, when the lens base is big, I drill a receiving hole to convert the M42 lens into a K mounted lens

More details on K mount conversion:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/166432-post12.html

A converted K mount with a not-so-good-looking receiving hole
spring clip is always removed in my usage --
I get scared from my accident

and you can see my summary in locating the drilling hole and the suggestion from others:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19602-dremel-t...ification.html

Thanks,
Hin
02-07-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Does the spring clip need to be compressed towards the center of the camera or away from the center?

I always remember it wrong, can you please confirm if it is towards the center or away from the center?

Thanks,
Hin
02-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #13
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

push the clip in toward the adapter. Toward the center of the mount.