Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

How much focus correction is too much?

My DA40 Ltd needs just "-2" correction on my K-5. Should I send that one to CRIS (authorized US repair facility) for adjustment?

Normally I would not bother, but I already need to send several other lenses for more excessive front and back focus issues, as well as the body for unrelated issues.

Plus, it is a Ltd, so for the money, it should be perfect, right? I do have other Ltd lenses in my collection which are spot-on, and require no adjustment.

I bought everything new this past Spring, so it's all under warranty.

10-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I don't how much it too much for service point of view but personally I consider that if the correction is in range, thus does not exceed the maximum possible value of the camera, is ok.
10-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would send it in while it's still under warranty. My DA*300mm is in for warranty repair because it needed +4 on my K20D and was unusable with my K-x. I had previously sent my DA 18-135 (+10) and my FA 35mm (+5) in for calibration. The rest of my lenses are accurate. As a result of this housekeeping, I do not need the AF Adjust feature on my K20D and all focus correctly on the K-x.

Warranty service is free, there's just some inconvenience involved. You never know what the future will bring, you might regret not getting it calibrated when you had the opportunity. You could own a body in the future that will not correct for AF, or you may sell the lens at some point and calibration could be a barrier.
10-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FF/BF is dependant upon both the lens and the camera. If -2 is all it needs, I wouldn't worry too much about the lens.

10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The lenses are all correctable within my K-5, but one is at the extreme limit of -10, and another is pushing the other extreme at +8. I think this justifies sending those lenses back for adjustment. Like audiobomber said, I might pick up an old body that doesn't support per-lens correction.In the future. Also, in the future, I wouldn't feel right selling them without disclosing this, and this would affect resale value.

And since I have so many other lenses that don't need any focus calibration, I assume the body is "centered" and the 40 itself is off, even though I understand that they might all work differently with another body. (In that case, I could just apply a global correction factor.)

Since I'm packing a number of items, I'm going to include the DA40 Ltd in the shipment and see what CRIS has to say. The worst that can happen is they tell me to just get a life, and get over it.

Thanks for your advice!