Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best Combo For Shooting Inside a Gym

I'm going to be taking some pictures inside a gym tomorrow (nothing professional, just for fun) and I'm not sure what combo would be best to use.

I won't be shooting any fast action sports or anything, it's actually more of a presentation I'm shooting. I won't be too close to the presenters, so I'll have to shoot with a telezoom. I'm trying to decide what my best route is going to be. Here are my choices:

K-01 with a DA 55-300
or
K-r with a Tamron 70-200.

The K-01 doesn't play well with the Tamron, so that's not a choice. The K-r will be too slow with the DA 55-300.

I'm wondering if the K-01 with the 55-300 will give me the same, or better, image quality than the K-r with the Tamron 70-200. The K-01 obviously handles high ISO's better than the K-r, but the K-r will probably give me better auto-focus. I'm hoping to get best iq for my buck. Flash is also not an option because of how far away I will be and I won't be able to set up a wireless flash either (I already asked).

The lighting not be great. It will probably be all lights off except for the spotlights on the presenters. Thanks.

10-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will NEED the f2.8 in the Gym. I've tried to shoot with the 55-300 in the gym and it just turns out poorly or is very grainy.
10-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
...The K-01 doesn't play well with the Tamron, so that's not a choice. ...
Really? How do you know that? Not sure I've seen any remarks to that affect.
10-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-01 doesn't play well with the Tamron, so that's not a choice.
Dose Tamron have an optical stabilization?

10-18-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Dose Tamron have an optical stabilization?
It doesn't.
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The K-01 doesn't play well with the Tamron, so that's not a choice.
Have you installed the new firmware?
10-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Kr + Tammy. Though the K-01 is a little better in the iso performance, it would not make up for the difference of the Tammy aperture advantage over the 55-300. I've shot in a gym before with my 55-300 on my k100dS and, even with "good" gym lighting the photos were not good at all. Even though the modern bodies are much better than my k100dS in lower light performance, I still cannot image that they could be THAT much better that they could have made my poor results into good results. Gyms = "go for all the aperture that you can get", IMHO.

10-18-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You actually have a combo that's nearly up to the task. You should use it. That would be the K-r + 70-200/2.8, of course.

Remember, even in presentations people move, so don't be afraid to use ISO up to at least 5000 if needed to stop/minimize the blur. You can easily reduce the noise - especially if shooting RAW - but blur reduction is between difficult and impossible.
10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I know because I own a K-01 and a Tamron 70-200. They don't play well together. The K-01 has a really tough time auto focusing with the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Colors and everything else work out fine, but if you want to use auto focus, it won't work well. There's a couple of reports about that in the K-01 sub forum as well so I know I'm not the only one. It improved slightly with the firmware update, but not enough to trust it. It does however focus pretty well with the 55-300.
10-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Have you installed the new firmware?
Yes, and it made a huge difference with most of my lenses. It even made a difference with the Tamron 70-200. Prior to the firmware update it would hunt non-stop and never focus. Now it will focus, but about 50 percent of the time.

The 70-200 works very well with the K-r so I know it's not the lens.
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They wont mind you taking photos in a gym... for fun?....

I worry you are going to end up with some bar bell shaped lumps on your head. :P
10-18-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
They wont mind you taking photos in a gym... for fun?....

I worry you are going to end up with some bar bell shaped lumps on your head. :P
Hahaha. It took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about. I wouldn't think about taking pictures of weightlifters. Too many ways to get hurt I'm talking about a high school gymnasium.
10-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
Kr + Tammy. Though the K-01 is a little better in the iso performance, it would not make up for the difference of the Tammy aperture advantage over the 55-300. I've shot in a gym before with my 55-300 on my k100dS and, even with "good" gym lighting the photos were not good at all. Even though the modern bodies are much better than my k100dS in lower light performance, I still cannot image that they could be THAT much better that they could have made my poor results into good results. Gyms = "go for all the aperture that you can get", IMHO.
I was thinking the same thing. I have been really impressed with how the K-01 handles high noise level and wasn't sure if it's capabilities were enough to outperform the K-r and Tamron combo.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims:
You actually have a combo that's nearly up to the task. You should use it. That would be the K-r + 70-200/2.8, of course.

Remember, even in presentations people move, so don't be afraid to use ISO up to at least 5000 if needed to stop/minimize the blur. You can easily reduce the noise - especially if shooting RAW - but blur reduction is between difficult and impossible.
I tried shooting inside a gym with my Kr and 55-300. The results were not very good. I have not yet had a chance to try out the Kr and Tamron. I'm hoping the results will be much better. I guess that's what I will be trying.
10-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the speakers/presnters wont be moving about, perhaps you can try the K-01 in manual focus with the Tammy and bring the K-r body in case things don't work out to your preference?
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I would guess that he's refering mostly about the difficulty of being stuck with live view with a big heavy lens mounted. I certainly couldn't had hold that combo steady enough. It should work on a tripod but that might be difficult in a gym.