Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax DA 18-250mm is here!

Yay me, I picked up the Pentax DA 18-250mm today! I do like the size, a bit smaller than expected.

It's night and kids are asleep so nothing to really capture. Lousy weather too. However, I did use a Pentax S45 (my wife's camera) to take this image:

02-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Mine arrived this week as well. I like the small size of it! It's a lot heavier than I am used to and that will take some getting used to.
02-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi lapeen & metalfab

So what do you make of the extensive range from wide 28mm to telephoto 375mm ? Is that IMPRESSIVE or WHAT, and danged sharp to boot.......!

Lapeen, when you said:

QuoteQuote:
It's a lot heavier than I am used to
.....but surely a HECK of a lot lighter than carting two or three separate lenses around with you all the time !
I dunno, you just can't seem to please ALL the people ALL of time, can you.......LOL !

Best regards
Richard

P.S. Here's a useful tip ! Don't forget to leave the supplied lens shade off when using the built-in pop-up flashgun at the wide 28mm end, or you'll end with unwanted shadows at the bottom of your photos......just a thought ! Incidentally, you can always attach the lens shade in reverse and then click it into it's 'storage' position on the lens. Simply line up the white 'dot' first, then gently twist till it locks.

Last edited by Confused; 02-09-2008 at 09:47 AM.
02-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm soooo jealous. We'll soon be getting ours but the weather right now is just the pits. I see the price has come down to $467 from Amazon. Amazing.

02-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi lapeen & metalfab

So what do you make of the extensive range from wide 28mm to telephoto 375mm ? Is that what you call IMPRESSIVE or WHAT ! And danged sharp to boot.......

P.S. Here's a useful tip ! Don't forget to leave the supplied lens shade off when using the built-in pop-up flashgun at the wide 28mm end, or you'll end with noticeable shadows at the bottom of you photos......just a thought ! Incidentally, you can always attach the lens shade in reverse, then it simply clicks into it's 'storage' position on the lens. Just line up the white 'dot' first, then gently twist till it locks.
I like the range, alway have but, I missed having it in one lens. About 4-5 years ago I bought a Nikon CP5700 (35 to 280mm) I'd still have it but, it broke when I dropped it ...imagine that Before I bought the K100D Super I had a Panasonic FZ18 (28-504mm) great range but ISO noise was bad at 400 and it had a blue banding issue above so I took it back. I'll be keeping the K100D Super until I really have a need for something better, which might be a few years away.
02-09-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Hi metalfab

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
I had a Panasonic FZ18 (28-504mm) great range but ISO noise was bad at 400 and it had a blue banding issue above so I took it back.

Unfortunately it has been my experience that the CCD-sensor on Panasonic's 'bridge-type' cameras are just plain NOISY. Period ! I know, because I've used many of them and speak from bitter experience !!!! It's an inevitable result of cramming ever increasing numbers of megapixels onto such miniscule sensors. What's more, IMHO this camera's over zealous Venus Engine III 'noise-reduction' image processor 'smears' fine details quite noticeably.......

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 02-09-2008 at 09:51 AM.