Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this ok/normal? Glare? Reflection?

I don't know what to call this but I have a problem with some pictures taken with the 43mm. I don't know if this is normal or not. I have a kenko uv filter with the lens hood attached to the 43 mm. Is this glare? Is it normal? The green lights seem to be an opposite image of the original light source.

02-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
I don't know what to call this but I have a problem with some pictures taken with the 43mm. I don't know if this is normal or not. I have a kenko uv filter with the lens hood attached to the 43 mm. Is this glare? Is it normal?
I suggest you try similar shots without the UV filter on the lens. It looks very much like lens flare to me, which can be caused by filters, particularly if they are inexpensive filters without proper multi coating. Over the many years, I have found that cheaper filters cause more problems than they solve.
02-06-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think it is most likely caused by the filter, especially the 2nd photo. I used to get that and found out later it was caused by a cheap filter.

So now either I use good (and expensive) filters or no filters at all on my lenses.

cheers
Kenny
02-07-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys (Canada_Rockies and kjao). I will have to live with this problem. I don't know what to purchase next.

02-07-2008, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, totally a filter problem. Get a multicoated UV filter and it will go away. I use the Hoya HMC ones, because they are affordable and work great.
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
Thanks for the replies guys (Canada_Rockies and kjao). I will have to live with this problem. I don't know what to purchase next.
I wouldn't say you have "to live with" the problem. I agree that this is a filter issue. Either look at getting some Pro Hoya or B&W filters that have excellent multi coating to reduce flare (to name only 2). But any filter can cause issues. The other option is to not use any filters. I often don't and that is true for many. I use hoods on all my lenses and in the case of the 43mm, I've added a metal hood from B&W that offers better protection again possible damage and better flare control.

Hood are far better than UV's. You also have to remember that the hood from the 43mm was designed for film and can be supplemented (as the 43mm hood is integrated) with a deeper screw on hood that works even better than the original