Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma Zoom Master 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 AF, not macro

I see lots of discussion about a f2.8 version of this focal range, or the macro zoom version, but very little about this specific model. If Pentax had marketed this lens they probably would have called it an FA 35-70mm f3.5-4.5.

Can anyone tell me anything about their experience using this lens?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
10-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the manual focus version of this lens with Auto aperture setting and I used it for many years on film cameras as a light way travel lens. It worked OK but nothing spectacular. When I tried it on the K10D and K-7 the results were good but not stellar.

Since I got the Pentax F-series trio (F 35-70, F 35-105 and F 35-135) I never used it again. Obviously the lack of auto focus on my copy was a significant factor but image quality wise, there is no comparison with the Pentax F series. The "macro" option on the Pentax F lenses also provides an extra feature that I find very useful.

Given that you can get a Pentax F 35-70 for next to nothing (I believe I got mine for less than $30) I don't see any advantage in getting this lens.
10-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for your reply demp10. I got this lens for a good price and I got the chance to mount this lens on a K-r yesterday.

First, I had to mount it a couple times before the aperture would register on the camera body. AF is a tad slow. And finally the DA L 18-55 kit lens is sharper. Something your experience seems to agree with.

My primary interest was that it is an A-series with an aperture ring as I am looking for a short 70mm lens I can mount on my Pentax K auto bellows for slide digitization on my K-r. If I could also use it as a general purpose lens, all the better. The lens might actually be good for some portrait work where softness can sometimes be a plus. But I think I will seek out the Pentax equivalent and re-sell this lens.