Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Change filter ring in an old K lens

Is this a dificult procedure?

I bought a k50 F1.2, the lens barrel is in great condition, except for the filter thread, it's completly unusable.

My ideia is to buy a k55 F2 which also has a 52mm filter diameter and swap it.

Is this a very risky procedure?

thanks

02-07-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It might be tough getting the original off, because you'll have to remove the inner ring with the writing off first. And this is held in place with the filter threads.

That plus the fact that they might not be the same on both lenses.

You can usually use an eraser to get a grip on this ring, and unthread it.

I seriously feel that your better off just finding another 50mm f1.2 in good shape, and using yours as a spare.
02-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was wondering if you could straighten it enough to get a filter ring on it?
I realize that a bend filter ring is hard to take a filter on and off. But I had a lens like this.

What I did was put duct tape on the tips of a pair of pliers (to try and prevent more scratches) and did my best to straighten the bent ring. Then took a filter and removed the glass. Then threaded that on the lens and it took some force to get it on but it finally did. So I used the glassless filter to be the new front threads for CPL's etc. It worked perfectly. Just try to find a filter that has strong sides like the B&W's that are thick.
02-08-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's not possible to straighten it up, the thread is ruined all around.

Sometimes it's just a small ding, and it's possible to force the filter, but in this case it's impossible.

02-08-2008, 06:39 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well then do you have a camera repair shop anywhere nearby? Maybe take it in to them and see if they have any ideas. That is if Stu's idea won't work either. Otherwise, it sounds like you could only hold a filter (like a Cokin P) in front of the lens.
02-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

I think a cheaper solution would be buy a cheap filter with same diameter and bust the glass and stick it in front the lens. You have a fresh thread filter ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Well then do you have a camera repair shop anywhere nearby? Maybe take it in to them and see if they have any ideas. That is if Stu's idea won't work either. Otherwise, it sounds like you could only hold a filter (like a Cokin P) in front of the lens.