Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

da 50 mm 1.8 which hood?

which one? as in which hood? Do you use a hood on your 50mm? if not ....why not? Am looking at purchasing this lens and wondered why no hood was available with it?
cheers
Jan

10-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't come with one because it's a "budget" lens, but for some reason Pentax isn't calling it a DA L.

Something like this will get the job done:
New in Box Nikon HR 1 Rubber Collapsible 52mm Lens Hood for 50mm F 1 4 or F 1 8 | eBay

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-22-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Perfect thank you Adam I didn't think a petal one was correct but thought I had better check
cheers
Jan
10-22-2012, 12:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I see that the front element of the lens is pretty small compared to the front thread. You may be able to use step down ring adapter(s) as a "hood." I'd try a 52-37mm adapter.

10-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use this one on my FA 50/1.4:

Pentax 49mm Round Rubber Lens Hood 34260 B&H Photo Video
10-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I was lucky enough to purchase a NOS Pentax RH-RA52 collabsible rubber hood, which is originally for the FA50/2.8 macro lens.
10-23-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
...Am looking at purchasing this lens and wondered why no hood was available with it?
cheers
Jan
It is a bad thing Pentax is doing to save a dollar, if that.
10-23-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It is a bad thing Pentax is doing to save a dollar, if that.
Years ago in the days of film, a lot of lenses didn't come with hoods. You always had to pay extra for one or buy a third party one. Then they got away from that and started including hoods which is a good thing considering all the benefits that such an inexpensive piece of plastic or rubber provides. Raise the price a few bucks if they have to and include the hood. I suppose they would rather sell one for $30-60+ bucks. There has to be some huge profit there.

10-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by janstew Quote
Perfect thank you Adam I didn't think a petal one was correct but thought I had better check
cheers
Jan
Jan - round hoods work well, but technically, a petal hood of the right size will be more 'correct' for any lens, in that it will more closely match the rectangular field of view that the sensor sees. A good bet might be to find a generic hood that is designed for a 75mm lens in full format (due to the 1.5x crop). It's pretty common for hoods, even some of the factory pentax ones, to be smaller than optimal, so if you can try them out yourself, do so - or just don't worry about it
10-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I like the rubber hoods best.
Although they are circular,
you can always bend them in a bit
to cut off troublesome light sources.