Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #1

da* 16-50 "matched"with my k10d

My da* 16-50,wich i bought in december, focussed horribly at 16mm, bf like all.... i send mine back to pentax, they tested it and told me lens was fine, they needed my k10d so they could "match" them, put the individual settings of my lens in the camera.

So 2 days ago i drove to Belgium and had both my da* lenses match with my camera................and

'problem solved,..very accurate focus at all focal lengths.

When i asked if this problem occurs a lot,coz i keep reading ppl on this and other forum sending 2 or 3 lenses back. He told me almost all "problems " with the da* 16 - 50 is due to mis-match with k10d. it was not able to have a general firmware fix. he was looking forward to the k20d, wich as we know can be bf/ff adjusted .

not sure how to find out about centering problem, i probably need to do the silly newspaper test. is there any other way????

greetz

sven

http://svenphoto.myjalbum.net/

02-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #2

Will this effect the camera's performance with other lenses?
02-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
Will this effect the camera's performance with other lenses?
nope, the k10d can hold max 10 different lenses. the down side is, you have to send in everything, or just drive to pentax like i did, took them 45 minutes. firmware still same, date was resetted, preference settings were saved
02-07-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by svenphoto Quote
nope, the k10d can hold max 10 different lenses. the down side is, you have to send in everything, or just drive to pentax like i did, took them 45 minutes. firmware still same, date was resetted, preference settings were saved
Is this the same thing that the USER can do by him/herself with the new K20D?

02-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gawan Quote
Is this the same thing that the USER can do by him/herself with the new K20D?
as i understand it, it is, yes......but not as comfortable.......
02-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #6

Wonderful.. I don't really want to send my stuff in though, how long is the turn around? If I travel I may drop it off.

Or perhaps I will just sell it and get a K20D. :?

Wait a minute.. why can't they just update the K10D firmware which would give us the lens matching option?
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Syb
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Wait a minute.. why can't they just update the K10D firmware which would give us the lens matching option?
Why should they? I think they will guard their K20d's USPs for quite a while... that is, if they are not too much a photographers' company...
02-07-2008, 05:03 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Why should they? I think they will guard their K20d's USPs for quite a while... that is, if they are not too much a photographers' company...
Under the original management I believe they would do it. I am hoping Hoya doesn't make them snobs.

That is the kind of pushing around people avoid the likes of Canon or Nikon for. The sad thing is I doubt things would go any better with any other company so I wouldn't switch systems unless the Pentax product began to deteriorate.

02-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #9
Syb
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anomaly Quote
Under the original management I believe they would do it.
Wow. If there is still someone from the old management; I would like to order higher ISO for my K10d... cannot the firm software be upgraded for this purpose?

Of course I wouldn't ask for the 25600 like I saw at a competitor's site, but a 3200 would be a great step forward already, right?

Syb
02-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Here was Pentax's repsonse to my question...

I sent them questions through their web site which were:

I am interested in purchasing the Pentax SMCP-DA * 16mm - 50mm f/2.8 ED-AL (IF) SDM Autofocus Zoom Lens but I understand that there have been problems with this lens. Have those issues been corrected?

I am also interested in purchasing a Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.6 ED (IF) SDM Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens. Are there any known problems with this lens?

This was their response:

We are not aware of any widespread problems with these lenses. All Pentax products come with a one year factory warranty should you ever run in to any issues with a Pentax camera, lens or other accessory.

So...I'm still concerned...
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #11

QuoteQuote:
Why should they?
Because their lenses should work with their cameras out of the box, not only after special adjustments. That a body may be "fine tuned" is a nice feature, the thought that it "has to be" to work with the should be star of their lens line up is ridiculous.
02-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by svenphoto Quote
as i understand it, it is, yes......but not as comfortable.......
Anybody have info how?
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote

I am interested in purchasing the Pentax SMCP-DA * 16mm - 50mm f/2.8 ED-AL (IF) SDM Autofocus Zoom Lens but I understand that there have been problems with this lens. Have those issues been corrected?

I am also interested in purchasing a Pentax SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8.6 ED (IF) SDM Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens. Are there any known problems with this lens?

This was their response:

We are not aware of any widespread problems with these lenses. All Pentax products come with a one year factory warranty should you ever run in to any issues with a Pentax camera, lens or other accessory.

To my knowledge, they have not been corrected (at least for the DA*16-50), as I am awaiting my 3rd * lens from Pentax.

Ted
02-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote

This was their response:

I'm not surprised they are unaware of the debate with the 16-50 lens. their lack of awareness of any issue is probably why the K20 reportedly has a table in it for the purpose of allowing the user to custom match the lenses to the camera.

I have one of the 16-50's on a K10. a small number of discerning users have complained very bitterly about it, though most seem to have been early adopters with lenses having a serial number beginning with 90nnnnn. I"ve seen few complaints recently susggesting that the issue was perhaps limited to early lenses.
02-10-2008, 09:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am wondering what eaxctly did they do?
If the back focus occurred only at 16 mm, how can a single in-camera setting help?
If they add a correction value, wouldn't then 50 mm be off?
Pentax Germany told me that they cannot correct such an error and they had to send my lens to Japan.