Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

18-250mm repair

I have the Pentax version of the 18 - 250 zoom. It suffers from zoom creep, as do nearly all copies of this lens (apparently). I found a couple of the home-grown fixes for this here on PF, but I'm wondering if C.R.I.S. can repair this problem and if the repair can be expected to last. I emailed them about it and got the standard boilerplate reply - send it in for an estimate, all our work is guaranteed for six months, etc. That doesn't answer my basic question - does the zoom creep arise from a design flaw, or is it caused by something that can be fixed permanently? Does anyone here have experience with having this problem corrected by C.R.I.S., and did the repair last? Thanks.

10-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the Tamron version of this lens and when I first had it, it definitely had lens creep. I had a problem with the grip de-laminating and sent it to Tamron for repair and also asked them to do something about the lens creep. I don't know what they did, but the tightened is somehow and I've never had the problem again. So...it is possible to address the loose lens creep.
10-22-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a DA18-250mm. The lens developed some creep over time, but there is a very simple fix which costs $2:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/161684-da18-250mm-...ion-works.html

A PF member showed a nice trick that I simply repeated above, and I do not claim to have discovered the trick. I simply aimed to show the solution and to repeat my own experience for the benefits fo others.

The simplest and most effective way to stop zoom creep on the 18-250mm is to use a rubber wristband: e.g., you can buy these for $2 at charities. These rubber wristbands are the perfect size. Place the rubber wristband around the lens, on the camera side (see photo below). The friction of the rubberband along the zoom ring is enough to strop completely the creep. It is very effective and long lasting. The cost is minimum and the outcome an asset if you disklke creep. A small point: you cannot use the zoom lock but you really do not need it. Lastly do take care that the rubber band is no wider than the distance between the zom ring and the camera.

I have used my wrist band (the one on the photo) now for 18 months and it is great.

I hope that the comment will help.