Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
ironliozion,
you are correct , however, not looking to add additional processes and equipment to make an FF camera work with my aps-c lens.

Thanks for your opinion
Mike

10-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
Builttospill, I was not clear on the coating. I wouldn't wait for the newer HD coating, I was comparing the newer DA's coating to the FA's coating.
I knew what you meant, my comment was more tongue-in-cheek because I still have yet to see any difference in coatings from FA to DA series lenses. Both are coated with the patented SMC process.

Pentax used the SMC process for a long time, and the first major change or update was in 1997 on the FA 43, with a new ghostless coating. According to Bojidar Dimitrov Pentax still only applies the ghostless coating to select lenses, About Super-Multi Coating (SMC).

Unless someone proves me wrong I think coatings are essentially the same on available FA lenses and DA lenses.
10-25-2012, 04:49 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion, just buy the FA lenses.

When I spend real money on lenses, I intend to keep them for the next 30+ years. I would be very surprised if Pentax did not release a full frame camera ever. I am not expecting it tomorrow, maybe not even five years from now. But when it does happen, I don't want to re-buy anything.

My opinion is also bolstered by my liking to still shoot film. So I already get double usage out of my FA lenses -- and the DA lenses which I bought because they are confirmed full frame.
10-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I actually use my DA* 50-135 on my film bodies sometimes. I do mostly portraiture and I end up outputting most of my photos to 8x10. Being able to crop in post lets me take advantage of more of the image circle than I would if I cropped a 4:5 image from a 3:2 frame. So my hope is that if there ever is a Pentax full frame DSLR and it does have a crop mode, that there will be a manual override, or better yet a WYSIWYG viewfinder capable of displaying different aspect ratios.

My other hope is that it arrives before I amass enough money to jump ship to a Canon or Nikon system. Ive got enough for a D800 or a 5D3, but replacing my lenses will be harder.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 10-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.
10-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
The real question is "Will Pentax ever have FF?"
+1, I really do hope so and I want it now.
10-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #21
Site Supporter

I know the early Sonys had the crop mode, then I came to Pentax and the issue went away
Do CaNik FF do this? Looks like Nikons do, so all Sony-sensor brands are in. By (dangerous) extrapolation, that is the answer.
10-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I know the early Sonys had the crop mode, then I came to Pentax and the issue went away
Do CaNik FF do this? Looks like Nikons do, so all Sony-sensor brands are in. By (dangerous) extrapolation, that is the answer.
Canon FF cameras can not use EF-S lenses so there is no need for a crop mode.
10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Why would you buy a FF camera just to use crop lenses? If I buy this mythical FF camera when/if it's launched then I fully expect to spend an equivalent amount of money on new lenses that don't exist now. Definitely a wide angle zoom.

If you are really serious about getting a Pentax FF camera if/when it is available then you should definitely buy FA's or the FF compatible DA's. Don't go halfway and use cropped lenses on it. General rule of thumb is that DA* primes and DFA lenses cover the FF sensor. A few of the DA primes (DA40 and DA35f2.4 for sure) also work but none of the zooms AFAIK work. It should also be mentioned that just because the DA* primes cover the sensor I don't know of any extensive analysis that checks for image degradation in the corners due to a bigger sensor. Falconeye's thread somewhere on this site is the most in depth study but most of the test data focused on whether or not there was vignetting and didn't get into pixel peeping.