Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Will Pentax FF have a APSC crop mode??

I'm getting ready to purchase several new primes. My funds are now in line and I need to decide on the FA or DA series. I can live with the slower aperture of the DA and like the quick shift focus as well. The DA's newer lens coating is a plus as well. The only draw back is the FF thing in the not so distance future. I would like the lens to work on a FF if and when I get one. I currently happy with my K5 and hope it serves me well for many years to come, however, I need to plan for 5 to 10 years as well.
I know Nikon FF's offer a crop mode feature and I'm almost sure Pentax would as well?. Want do you think about the crop mode feature on Pentax's future FF cameras.Will it be there??
Mike

10-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If they have a brain, sure, the FF will have an APS-C crop mode.
If it doesn't, the company must be kidding
10-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If Pentax ever makes an FF it will probably have a crop mode. If not, you can just crop yourself in post. Btw, many DA lenses cover the full image circle, some even with decent quality. But if you want to be absolutely sure, go for FA lenses. The FA primes are considered great lenses.
10-23-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
If they have a brain, sure, the FF will have an APS-C crop mode.
Remember, someone can be smart and still be crazy.

I'm personally predicting the FF will lack an optical viewfinder, won't support legacy lenses, and will be metallic pink!

10-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well the more important question is whether they'll even have a full frame dslr, but if they ever produce one, it should have a crop mode. Unlike Canon, Pentax has never changed their register distance. Canon EFS lenses (their APS-C designation) cannot be used on a full frame body because they would interfere with the mirror, Pentax doesn't have that problem. Worst case scenario, you could always crop in post.
10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
My funds are now in line and I need to decide on the FA or DA series...The DA's newer lens coating is a plus as well.
With that kind of funding lined up for the newer HD coated DA lens you could probably buy all the FA and almost all the other DA lenses in production.
10-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by COULDBE2 Quote
Will Pentax FF have a APSC crop mode??
The real question is "Will Pentax ever have FF?"

10-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Funny thread. Already spec'ing a non-existent camera.
10-23-2012, 09:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Funny thread. Already spec'ing a non-existent camera.
They've actually scrapped early production models based on internet forum research. It was clear that everyone had different expectations, so (breakthrough!) the latest versions adapt themselves to whatever the user expects from a FF camera. So if you expect the crop mode for APS-C lenses, bam, it's there!

Well, except for price. The camera knows you want to pay $900, but it just multiplies that by 4 or some factor yet to be determined.
10-24-2012, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
If Pentax ever makes an FF it will probably have a crop mode. If not, you can just crop yourself in post.
I believe the new full frame Nikon cameras have a crop mode that shows in the viewfinder. That's an important part of a good crop mode. I personally wouldn't know how to frame properly if the viewfinder didn't show me the crop. And I'd be annoyed by the visible vignetting in the viewfinder.

Regards,
--Anders.
10-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies,

SpecialK ,Not really that funny of a thread, not spec'ing a new camera, looking to protect a 3000+ lens investment as much, as possible.Just asking a question , however, I'm glad you found some humor in it.

Builttospill, I was not clear on the coating. I wouldn't wait for the newer HD coating, I was comparing the newer DA's coating to the FA's coating.

asp1880, I could not agree more with your statements, Thanks!

Mike
10-24-2012, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Let's say if Pentax ever made a FF dSLR camera in the unforeseeable future, even w/o APSC crop mode, your APSC lenses won't become wasted 'cause they will still work fine on APSC cameras. Look at C/N/S, even with FF camera out for a few years already, their APSC lens prices never dropped.
10-24-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

This question is impossible to answer, because the Pentax FF camera hasn't even been announced yet. Currently it is still very foggy if a Pentax FF camera will ever become a reality or not.
10-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Like others have pointed out, a crop mode in a FF dslr is nothing more than the camera cropping the full frame image for you. You can do this yourself in post processing. I'm not a pro with photoshop, but I think you can create a predefined action that can do all the cropping for you automatically. You can write a script that will batch crop...so you can essentially crop a whole folder of images from FF to APS-C.

As for framing the APS-C crop, if the Pentax FF doesn't include a crop mode, I'm sure aftermarket focusing screens will be produced with grid marks for APS-C.
10-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #15

Original Poster
Of course you can not answer and if you did I'm not sure it would be correct anyway. Looking more for experienced Pentax user opinions on this matter.
When the fog clears and no FF is visible, then I have no worries, right... I could then be sure Pentax would continue to refine their aps-c camera line-up, which I'm fine with....

Again thanks for the replies,
Mike