Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

49mm and 72mm Polarizer Suggestions?

I'm thinking about ordering some polarizers for my lenses. I have the FA 50mm and a Sigma 17-70mm on the way. Was wondering what you guys would suggest as a decent filter (under $30 preferably). I've seen a Hoya 49mm for around $26 shipped. Sunpak also has some 49mm for a little less. I don't see alot of 72mm CPLs though. Also, what exactly is the difference from a linear and circular polarizer?

02-08-2008, 06:52 AM   #2

difference between polarisers

Hi,

If you have a digital camera or auto focus camera you need to use a circular polariser filter (or the metering won't work).

If you use manual focus camera/lens, then you can use a linear polariser.

You can also get ploarisers that are multi coated which is best if you do a lot of colour photography. If you shoot B&W, then it's not as important.

But its worth buying a good qaulity filter.

If you need a 72mm filter you could also just buy that, and get a 49>72 filter adapter. So when you use a 49mm filter size lens, put the adaptor on then your 72mm filter. Now your one filter fits more than one size lens.
02-08-2008, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd agree with mr.voigtlander with one exception- get a 77mm instead of a 72. You may not need it now, but if you plan to buy more lenses you will eventually.

A 72mm filter adapted to a 77mm filter thread just really doesn't work properly. Unless you really like vignetting.

Don't ask me how I know this.

And if you really want a 72mm polarizer I have a Hoya Moose (warming filter combined with CPL) that's been collecting dust since I went digital I'd let go reasonable.
02-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the Hoya Pro 1 D circular on my Sigma 17-70, excellent

simon

02-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It'll cost you more in the beginning, but if you only plan on using one camera at a time Please, do yourself a favor and look into a Cokin filter system.
As seen on their web site here

They aren't for everyone, but are great for others.
02-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It'll cost you more in the beginning, but if you only plan on using one camera at a time Please, do yourself a favor and look into a Cokin filter system.
As seen on their web site here

They aren't for everyone, but are great for others.
... wise words here...
02-08-2008, 02:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No expert, but totally agree. Wish I hadn't been a cheapskate and started the collection in size P instead of A - but then, it does hinder LBA, so my wallet is happier

02-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I also recommend the Cokin system BUT....

I only use it with my NDgrads - with the polariser I often leave it permanently fixed to my sigma 17-70 so a circular polariser is much more convenient for this purpose, I just find the Cokin setup to cumbersome when I need polarised images

simon