Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2008, 08:17 PM   #1

Vivitar 28-85 focus problems

I purchased a vivitar 28-85 off Ebay. I get the lens and take it out and it will not focus. Also it will not focus down in macro, it just stops. Is there a timing issue or is this lens junk? I can focus on an object but it has to be with in a couple of feet and I have to focus by moving back and forth. Here are a couple of pictures of the lens. Should I just try to see if the seller would take it back because he misrepresentated the lens in his add?

Also I am very new to all of this so yeah I probably made a mistake buying this lens and did not know better but at the same time if I post on the forum about every lens I am interested in on Ebay people would get sick of it in a hurry I am sure
Louis

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 

Last edited by cajuncutter; 02-07-2008 at 09:44 PM.
02-07-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's probably normal for that lens

A zoom isn't a true Macro lens, and rarely focus closer than a foot. I have a couple which show a macro setting but have to be held a meter or further away.
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
It's probably normal for that lens

A zoom isn't a true Macro lens, and rarely focus closer than a foot. I have a couple which show a macro setting but have to be held a meter or further away.
Ok I don't get the ? As I stated I am new to this and wouldn't know the inside . If you wouldn't mind elaborate for me please. I would like to learn and am willing to listen if someone could give me a straight answer.
02-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
Here is a picture at around 30 mm on the lens and as focused as it would get.

Attached Images

02-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just don't know, and I don't have any lenses anything like that lens here to test at the moment

My only suggestion is try setting that dial with the numbers 22 - 16 - 11 and so on to #8 and try taking another picture again.

Here's the tough part. You must have the camera set to Manual for that setting to work right, otherwise it'll stay on the 2.8.
Which is often a very soft setting on a camera, which could be mistaken as out of focus.

You might also want to set it on a table or better yet a tripod for this test with the SR button turned off.

If the pictures still look like that send it back
02-08-2008, 06:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have tried every thing. I am asking seller for refund and return it to him. Even the pictures that you can focus on are horrible and still slightly blurred. Seems I have seen some threads about elements timming being off or something to that affect. This is one of those push pull lenses so I guess something like that is going on.
02-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had the same sort of thing with one lens, although it was free. So it's a paper weight now

Lots of luck with it.

If you really need that size I might be willing to sell you a Sigma 28 - 82 lens I never use anymore.

I can assure that you'll get several photographs that will blow your mind, however there are about 5 small specks of fungus inside.
So I can't promise that it'll give you a lifetime of quality photographs. It might, I just can't promise it

It was my favorite lens until I got hooked on fixed focal length lenses.

02-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the offer. It would probably grow like an aggresive cancer down here in Louisiana. I am going to see if this problem can be resolved. The seller is willing to refund.