Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How to clean A400mm 5,6?

I got this lense with oil on some internal glass. Any idea on how to take it apart without destroying it?

Service cost around 330$ and i paid 100$ for it so i want to try fix it myself

10-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There was a time I would send an A 400/5.6 to Eric. However, he may not be available. These lens is worth ~ $400 if it was in good shape.
10-26-2012, 07:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
It's a bit sad realy. The lense is near mint except the oil. The seller claimed it wouldnt show onthe pictures. I have been testing it and bright objekts gets a very dreamy effect. He said he could take it back if i got problems but i stil think i should try to save it. Bought some small screwdrivers today, so now i need some spare time. I'm in Norway by the way.
10-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
I see your in Norway.

So, the oil is towards the outer group or adjacent to the aperture blade area?

Only as a general guide....
The lens set up is usually so that the front group is held as a group is removed as a group.
The point of separation is usually at the front most area or under the hood would be a set of screws to release it.
On some lenses the the point where the barrel is two diameters, that it will separate at that junction.
The rear groups are usually removable in a rear sleeve/barrel.
Usually, the loosening or removal of the focusing barrel would first be required to access the aperture assembly... caution, often locked into a specific position with thread lock.

I would advise that you not try this unless you've done some seriously deep lens repair before.

10-28-2012, 12:40 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
no one with a step by step guide? I have been reading some of the other "guides" in here and i hope i can use some of that.
10-28-2012, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok it was an easy clean. The oil came from the focusing mechanism. When i had the lens in 3 parts i could clean bouth sides of the glass that moves while focusing. Did not try any further separation. Only 3 screws to remove Saved alot of money to day

I think the pictures says it all.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
10-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you've made an excellent bargain out of your $100 purchase and willingness to tackle the cleaning job yourself. Thanks for posting the disassembly photos; not that I am likely to ever try this on my copy! Enjoy the lens; I think it's a very good performer and a nice handling lens for 400mm.