Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

problem with SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm ?

hi,
I have bought this used lens ( SMC PENTAX-FA 1:3.5-5.6 28-80mm in verygood cosmetic & optic condition ) some days back on ebay.
I have a problem when i try to click a close object from this lens result is a dense foggy picture & in the same light conditions when i try to capture a distant object image comes perfect.
I am new to DSLR photography i guess this must be a setting error can someone help me regarding this ?

thanks

10-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
My FA 28-80 on a K20D is also a pain with focusing close-ups. In dim conditions it tends to hunts more and so I have to play with the AF Select mode to find a more suitable point of focus... it helps in some situations. The problem is that in closeup and zoomed to 80mm, the lens is in f5.6 or so and that is pretty dim. I tend to manually focus when it is really bad.
10-26-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
have you ever faced same problem of foggy picture ?
what is the solution for that ?
10-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SANDY1977 Quote
What do you mean by foggy, can you post an example?

Could it be that you're trying to go beyond the minimum focus distance? Depending on which FA 28-80 you have, it could be 0.5m or 0.7m.

10-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when i try to click a close object from this lens result is a dense foggy picture
Please define 'close' the minimum focusing distance for this lens is about 24". If you are closer than that it will not focus.
10-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Giveaway winner!

Actually about 20 inches.
10-26-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Giveaway winner!

So "foggy" you mean out of focus and as elliot & jatrax wondering about, is that you could be meaning you are too close for the lens to focus at all.
Check out the situation of "minimum" focus distance.

Otherwise, the "foggy" or not properly focus would mean the AF on the camera did not find the correct focus solution.

If you know you were no closer that 20 inches or 50cm and the camera AF did not lock on, then it is possible that the amount of light is not enough for the Auto-Focus system to calculate the correct distance. As I had done when A. reasonable amount of light was present, B. subject distance was within range of lens ability... I put my camera into a "Select" focus mode and adjusted the point of focus. This was my solution based on the fact I was aiming at an angle to my subject. In your case... which I am only able to suppose... you may need to try either using the camera supplemental light or focus assist by means of the flash in the up position and it will flicker quickly to add a little light for focusing or you may need to resort to shining some light on the subject to assist with AF locking. Otherwise, you are into the situation that you may have read from threads around this forum. Its the "Need a faster lens" discussions. This is about having a lens with a wider optical path for light. So it is going to be a number of f4, f3.5, f2.8, f1.8. that means "faster". For now, try the flash assist thing and test out for yourself to see how much light is going to increase the focusing accuracy.