Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Telephoto for Landscape Work

I'm looking at filling the telephoto hole in my collection. I currently shoot with a K5 and 5DII. I'm more leaning toward a tele zoom for the K5 as it's got the crop factor and in body stabilization, which allow me to get more bang for the buck (at least I think).

Most of my work is outdoors--landscape work. However, I was shooting an indoor swimming event yesterday for the local small newspaper, borrowing a friend's 55-200 (older version) and really saw the pluses of having a fast zoom (I had to crank the ISO to 12,000 on my K5 to freeze the scenes....lots of noise reduction in LR is in order...fortunately, you do not need exceptional IQ for newsprint). Most of these shots were at 200mm, and even then I was cropping. I do rarely shoot this sort of thing though, and I guess I could even try to rent a fast zoom for these situations, which would probably make more sense.

I am an aspiring landscape photographer someday hoping to sell work, so I am looking for a decent investment with solid-great IQ and handling.

A few lenses I am considering:

DA*50-135. The sample images are amazing...wow, the shots pop. F/2.8 would be super nice, though it does seem a little shorter than I'd like. At $850 (B&H, Adorama "call" price) this is the most my budget can handle. Other plus is build quality and WR. Someday, I hope to have the 16-50 (hopefully updated soon), so this would be a nice combo. Downside seems to be slower AF, compared to the Sigma 70-200 HSM especially.

Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 Di LD IF (Images don't pop out to me like the 50-135, at least in the shots I've seen)

The Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 w/HSM is too expensive at over a $1k US.

Pentax 55-300. Sample shots seem pretty good but it's a bit slow and I don't know if I need 300mm. Big pluses here are lower price (big bang for the buck) and compactness.

A refurb 70-200 f/4 L for my Canon. (Around $700 US)

Thanks for any advice.
Shawn

10-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

While I love the concept of the f/2.8 telezoom, I personally will not carry a kilogram of glass on my shoulder often enough to justify it. The DA55-300 is as you say, great bang for the buck. My copy is f/4.5 at 200mm, so if you stop there you gain a little light on the 50-200 and you're not at the extreme end of the range. Those who do carry the big lenses like them a lot though, and I'm sure they will chime in here soon!
10-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
While I love the concept of the f/2.8 telezoom, I personally will not carry a kilogram of glass on my shoul
Hah - I am 60+ and I travel with 15kg of gear and and out in the field with at least 7kg all the time. If you have the motivation you will take the gear.

I have found my 50-135 a gorgeous landscape lens. I think I have taken my best landscapes with that lens. I also have the 60-250 and it is a brilliant match with the K5. I always have my sigma 500mm so I need to choose which I will take. The 60-250 is a better wildlife lens with better autofocus. I can't believe how good it is. The 50-135 is very compact with internal zoom. I love the quality of the the 50-135 colour. When flying, I need to choose which lens I will leave behind. Very difficult choice.

I would strongly suggest you stick to one of these pentax lenses if you are keen to pull the best colour out of your landscapes

You should think of the lens as one you will use for the next 20 years. Price is not relevant or part of the equation if you are thinking of going professional.
10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

There is always the sigma 50-150 F2.8 It looks pretty decent too

10-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Hah - I am 60+ and I travel with 15kg of gear and and out in the field with at least 7kg all the time. If you have the motivation you will take the gear.
Good on ya Bob - I need to move to Aus to toughen up I've about five years to catch up to you!
10-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been trundling down the same road for the same reasons. I have the 55-300 and I agree with all the comments and reasoning. I'll also toss in a couple of additional thoughts. I actually picked up an old Contax Carl Zeiss 85/f2.8 Sonnar (and changed the mount). It is fabulous, pretty small and light. All manual, and fits in a pocket. Leveraging off of that experience, I have also picked up a real cheap, light and small Tak 135/f2.5 along with a SMC A 135/f3.5. Decided to keep the Tak, but essentially the 135mm focal length is excellent. A single lens is the optimal solution, but I am mixing and matching among these three right now.

10-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I can highly recommend the Tamron 70-200 which i use a lot for my landscape work. It has amazing resolution, colors and is a general joy to use. I had the Canon 70-200 F4 L IS when i shot with a Canon 2Ti and i have to say that i prefer the images i get off the Tamron on a K5 any day.

Here are some i shot with it which may or may not inspire you for it. Also, I also just got my first prints back today at A3+ size 3 of which were from the Tammy (not sure the dimension equivalent for cm's and inches) The results were really impressive in terms of detail (much better than i had anticipated)

It does lovely star bursts and tis great for night scenes:

10-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

One other thing i should have said too Shawn is in regards to the weight of the Tamron which a lot people find too much, is that it's no problem for a skinny short ass weakling like me . I carry around a lot in the local park in my hand with k5 and battery grip for up to an hour where i shoot my dog running about as well as doing some macro shots of the weeds.

10-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm weighing up my options with mid range tele-zooms and have similar budgetary constraints. The weight and length of the 70-200's is a factor for me. If I could get the DA* 50-135 for $850 my decision making would be over. All I can find is $1500, so I'm curious, what's a 'call price'?
10-27-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jawsy Quote
I'm weighing up my options with mid range tele-zooms and have similar budgetary constraints. The weight and length of the 70-200's is a factor for me. If I could get the DA* 50-135 for $850 my decision making would be over. All I can find is $1500, so I'm curious, what's a 'call price'?
At least back in September, you could call B&H or Adorama, and they'd offer lenses at around the pre-MAP prices. This meant getting a 16-50 or 50-135 at nearly half the online listed price. I think they are still doing it, but I need to call. Seems like a good deal especially for the 50-135. I am not sure how this works if you are from Australia...(do they ship abroad?)

@Captainbert, I saw those shots in the "just pictures" thread on the K5 forum and was very impressed. No idea they were from the Tammy....quite impressive. I will be hopefully making quite a few prints, so thanks for the input there as well.
10-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Seems like a good deal especially for the 50-135. I am not sure how this works if you are from Australia...(do they ship abroad?)
I get a lot gear from B&H. I find I get replies via email within a day provided it's not a Jewish holiday. The courier service is great. I get mailorders from New York faster than 20kms up the road.
10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, it's down to the Pentax DA* 50-135 vs. Tamron 70-200. The former for the WR and smaller size vs. the Tamron for the extra zoom and slightly cheaper price. After looking at more test shots, I've changed my mind...the Tamron IQ is very good. Anyone have any shots of the Tammy and Pentax next to each other?