Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

limited vs DA*

So, I've got my new k10, but I'm stuck with only using this kit lense, and looking at the pretty pictures of all the lenses available makes me salivate. To add to this problem, I'm going on a trip to moab in a few weeks, and it'd be nice to have another lense or two for that trip. Also, my choices in subjects is pretty varied, though I think I'd I like to focus on nature/wildlife. I lead trips outdoor adventure trips to pay for all this stuff, so portability is somewhat a factor, though on my own, i could lug an extra few inches/pounds of glass for that special shot.

sooo.... long story short (too late), I've got some funds to spare, and would like to part with. I've been eyeing the DA 40 limited since I got the camera, as the stupid thin design make it a good choice to bring on backpacking trips and the like, and it seems like 40 is a pretty good focal length for portraits of people on trips, landscapes, the occasional critter that gets close to the trail. Downside? 40mm is covered by the kit, which leaves me no better off (range wise) when i'm not needing lightweight stuff. So I figured I'd add in the DA 70 for a bit more reach and another good lense. After checking this out, it's close in price to the DA* 50-135, which seems like it would be a great lense with a useful focal range, and all the obvious * perks.

Longest lense advice post ever? True. So mostly, a pair of limiteds or a * zoom? Down the line I hope to get the *300 for wildlifey type things, and something around 14mm to fill out the wide. So I'm not sure what would fill out the range better. Also should add, I've never used a prime lense before, so how hard is it to adjust to not zooming?

nick

02-08-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've never had experience with the "higher end" Pentax lenses. However, I do have a 50mm/1.4 that I prefer to use over the two zooms that I have (18-55mm & 28-75mm). I find it much sharper. Depends what you'll be shooting, but you will make it work.
02-08-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well given the type of places you may be likely to shoot (and weather), I'd say get the 50-135. Then maybe later add some wider primes. But the kit lens and 50-135 would make a good 2 lens set for wide range and light setup. You might want to consider a Tamron 1.4 AF TC to add to that for a little longer reach.

This is a good thread on the Tamron:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19694-tamron-t...rter-pics.html
02-08-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, my experience is zero with lenses, but I have been to Moab. :-)

I don't think 40mm is going to be good for any but human critters... they are just not going to be that close. So, a zoom in the tele end is what you need. That might catch you sunbathing lizards and the like.

For those wide open cool orange rock landscapes I would definitely want a wide lens, and since light will not be a factor (plenty in the desert), why not the Sigma 10-20mm that everyone raves about?

Check out the brewpub there -- great draught named after bike parts.

02-08-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As good as the 70 limited is, I think you will find the 50-135 to be much more versatile for general travel use.

I find that I use my primes in my studio more often then in the field.
02-08-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
well, thats pretty unanimous. I think I'll go for the 50-135 now, and later down the road pick up a small prime if i need something light and small.
02-08-2008, 02:10 PM   #7

Even if you go with the 50-135... don't forget about the 40 later on. It's a great lens to have while traveling. For those times when you may not feel like carrying your camera around any more (a K10D with a 2.8 zoom lens will get that way eventually) you can pop the 40 on there and maybe end up taking the camera someplace you normally wouldn't have. So, if one of your friends does something stupid in the restaurant at the end of the day, your camera won't be in the car.
02-08-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
yep, thats the plan. I'm still gonna get that little 40 later on, though im also looking at an M 50 1.7 as im sure itll slow me down enough to take a good picture now and then.. too much glass to buy, so few paychecks.