Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 lens info

I just posted this question in the K-5 threads, before seeing this section, if OK I thought I would repost it here.

I am new to Pentax and will be buying the K-5 II soon. Right now I am looking through the "Market Place" for used lens for sale and I see smc, K, M, A, DA, M42,and other markings to describe the model lens. What should I be looking for to know that a particular lens will mount to the K-5 without adapters? In some cases I can copy & paste the lens info for a Google search, but even that does not tell me all the time.
Thank you for any help.

10-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I just posted this question in the K-5 threads, before seeing this section, if OK I thought I would repost it here.

I am new to Pentax and will be buying the K-5 II soon. Right now I am looking through the "Market Place" for used lens for sale and I see smc, K, M, A, DA, M42,and other markings to describe the model lens. What should I be looking for to know that a particular lens will mount to the K-5 without adapters? In some cases I can copy & paste the lens info for a Google search, but even that does not tell me all the time.
Thank you for any help.
K, M, A, DA will be able to fit your K-5 II without adapters, the M42 lenses requires a M42 adapter.
10-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is a compatibility chart that might help: The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Basically you can use any k-mount lens on the k-5 although for off brands it might be good to ask as there are a few that can cause trouble particularly those that have the "Ricoh Pin". But if it is a Pentax lens it will work within the limits of the combined hardware (camera / lens).

SMC describes the Pentax proprietary lens coatings. So SMC = good; no SMC = not so good In modern lenses this is often not mentioned as it is implied
K = original k-mount, it actually does not say K on the lens it is implied. Manual everything
M = Second series, essentially the same as K but lighter weight and smaller, again manual everything
A = Third series, manual focus but you can use the camera controls to control aperture as long as the lens is in A mode
F = First AF series, works just like a modern lens
FA = Second Auto focus series, again just like a modern lens. Actually several of these are still in production
FA J = Cheaper FA lenses without aperture ring, generally just avoid these
DA = Third Auto Focus series designed for digital
D FA = FA lens that also works on full frame cameras, many people are hoping to see this line expanded but at present it is only the Macro lenses

If you want Auto Focus then you need F, FA, D FA or DA. If you just want to take pictures stick with DA and everything works with no surprises. If you want to play with Manual lenses then K, M or A

And if you want to really lose control of your wallet just start buying Takumars.....
10-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
And if you want to really lose control of your wallet just start buying Takumars.....
Only the M42 screw mount ones though, the ones with a K mount are best avoided.

Always check the lens database before buying, a lot of old lenses, especially zooms, aren't worth having.

10-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
And be sure to check out the lens review database here...

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

And the lens sample photo archive here...

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com
10-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch. I think you have given me enough info to help me empty my wallet Now I just have to decide if I get the K-5 II or IIs. I read you have some testing in progress so I will wait until that is posted.