Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2007, 05:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax A* vs Fa* 200mm f4 macro

Do they share same optics?

Any users used A* star before? Examples?

Thanks in advance for your help

01-03-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For the 1st question. They have a different number of elements and groups..

A* 200/4 Macro ED

FA* 200/4 Macro ED [IF]
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter

they're both excellent lenses

Go to Mike Muizebelt's site: Digital Macro Photography; a Nature Photo Gallery or Mark Cassino's site: Mark Cassino Photography - Natural History, Landscape, Snowflake and Insect Photograpy. Mark uses the A* exclusively, whereas Mike uses both.

Obviously you've seen my macro shots, but there are a few taken with the FA 100/2.8 macro lens on my site too.

Cheers,
Marc
01-03-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for the input.

I might get D FA 100 f2.8 for the time being like what Tom Lusk did.

01-03-2007, 09:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Love my DFA100 macro. Probably my most used lens. Won't kid you though, if a Pentax 200mm macro was available under $1500 I would jump on it so fast. Love macros of bugs. Nothing like a 200 for that (handheld with flash). Hope Pentax/Hoya/Tokina builds a new 200 macro soon.
thanks
barondla
01-04-2007, 01:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probaby around 2200 US dollars now

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Love my DFA100 macro. Probably my most used lens. Won't kid you though, if a Pentax 200mm macro was available under $1500 I would jump on it so fast. Love macros of bugs. Nothing like a 200 for that (handheld with flash). Hope Pentax/Hoya/Tokina builds a new 200 macro soon.
thanks
barondla
Last ebay sale of fa* 200 macro was in April 2006

Amazon.uk site is probably out of stock with a misleading listing of the item on line

A couple of places I had contacted revealed these items were all sold early last year.

So this gem is so popular!
01-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Henrys in Canada sold 3 new ones. All they had. Think they went for around $1900 dollars each. Wow. Thats tough to swallow. May buy a Sigma 180 macro. I don't have good luck with Sigma so trying to hold off. Also heard they were back ordered for like 3 months. DFA100 works decent with Kenko 1.5 teleconverter.
thanks
barondla
01-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I got my FA* 200/4 for a better price it seems...

Henrys in Canada sold 3 new ones. All they had. Think they went for around $1900 dollars each. Wow. Thats tough to swallow. May buy a Sigma 180 macro. I don't have good luck with Sigma so trying to hold off. Also heard they were back ordered for like 3 months. DFA100 works decent with Kenko 1.5 teleconverter.
thanks
barondla
Paid $1485 for basically a "like new" demo unit. Seems I lucked out...

Two small marks on the tripod collar.

Cheers,
Marc

01-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sigma 180 macro

thanks
barondla
Pity sigma does not have k mount for 150mm f2.8 macro

Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro is tad soft compared to competition brands with lesser contrast in multiple websites. I owned sigma 150mm f2.8 macro for canon mount and it works as a gem ...

I would love to see examples from D FA 100mm f2.8 macro with kenko 1.5 teleconverter. Would you mind to post a few examples?

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Paid $1485 for basically a "like new" demo unit. Seems I lucked out...

Two small marks on the tripod collar.

Cheers,
Marc
Hi Marc. Lucky you and wise you too. Now I am really struggling to find a macro of that focal length. Since I joined the pentax user group, I preferred my gear to be pentax.

I heard Samsung gonna rebatch D FA 100mm macro as well. So I had not made the orders a couple of times.

If you had come across Pentax Fa* 200mm macro, please kindly send me a private message hehe

I think eventually Fa* comes out on ebay, we will all fight out like enemies in the end. War...

01-06-2007, 08:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter

For Roentarre

Here is a shot with K10D, DFA 100 macro and Kenko 1.5 Teleplus SHQ converter. It was shot on Uni-lock Major tripod at ISO 100 f8 @ 10 second using 3 second mirror lockup and wireless remote. Shot in jpeg. Always shoot RAW but thought this would speed up reply. Didn't because new computer wasn't ready yet and had to use old one. Incandesent WB. No processing at all except resize to fit web. I usually add some sharpening and saturation for posting. Other wise shots look bad compared to originals. Did not use in camera noise reduction. Tried shot that way and it looked softer. May have been vibration between 2 shots since tripod was on a wood floor. Hope this works for you. Not too good at posting pics.
thanks
barondla

Last edited by barondla; 12-08-2007 at 08:52 PM.
01-06-2007, 11:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow!

Here is a shot with K10D, DFA 100 macro and Kenko 1.5 Teleplus SHQ converter. It was shot on Uni-lock Major tripod at ISO 100 f8 @ 10 second using 3 second mirror lockup and wireless remote. Shot in jpeg. Always shoot RAW but thought this would speed up reply. Didn't because new computer wasn't ready yet and had to use old one. Incandesent WB. No processing at all except resize to fit web. I usually add some sharpening and saturation for posting. Other wise shots look bad compared to originals. Did not use in camera noise reduction. Tried shot that way and it looked softer. May have been vibration between 2 shots since tripod was on a wood floor. Hope this works for you. Not too good at posting pics.
thanks
barondla
Thanks for posting this. This definitely helps me a lot. I was concerned by reading various reports on line regarding soft images of DFA 100mm wide open. Teleconverter of any brand might even compromise that further.

I noted f8 on tripod here really shows the details quite well. Especially the contrast. Tad soft might result from the teleconverter use but this is good enough.

This lens is released in 2004 and I wondered if there will be any newer version coming through?

Thanks!
01-07-2007, 07:39 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Glad it helps you. DFA 100 is probably a little soft wide open ( compared to other premium macros). Every macro lens I have shot has been similar. I have had or have Olympus OM 20mm, 50mm, 80mm, 135mm macros. Macros are usually used stopped down for greater depth of field. Good ones will be optimized for this range. The Tamron reports to be a little sharper wide open than the Pentax but looses out as it is stopped down. I like to shoot the DFA at f5.6- f13. At f16 you loose sharpness to diffraction. Any image I post looks soft compared to original shot. Most of this is probably the compression the rest is most likely my post processing skills. Even my 31 and 77 looks soft posted vs real life. Usually I add Photoshop sharpening, contrast, and saturation to posted images. Getting better at doing this. Did none of this to above image. Only resized.
I would say that using the Kenko 1.5 converter with the 100 would be similar to using the matched 1.4 converter on my Olympus OM 350 2.8. It makes a little difference but nothing that would kill me. Large high speed teles and macros are 2 of the sharpest lenses around ( other group being the 50mm 1.7-1.4). They aren't hampered much by a good converter. Still want a 180-200 macro. Listening Pentax?
thanks
barondla
01-10-2007, 04:30 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quite a fan of possibly using D FA100mm f2.8 with some adaptors. I have not yet made the order yet as I am still chasing down certain * lenses.

Maybe A rear 2X teleconverter might preserve the colour and sharpness..
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Forum Member

Use both with great pleasure

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Do they share same optics?

Any users used A* star before? Examples?

Thanks in advance for your help

The definately are of a different design as you can in this image. The FA* is nicer to handle, focussing goed smoother and the tripod collar is not in the way. The A* is smaller, but I don't like the way the tripod collar is attached. Yet the A* is my preferred travell lens because of it's size. When getting up to 1:1 the A* also gives a slightly better distribution of the flash light because of the large hood that can get into the way with a top mounted flash.

In terms of optical quality..... I don't see any difference and have no preferred one when looking at the results they produce. I'm glad I don't have to choose between them, but because of the handling I would say the FA* has a slight advantage. I really had to shell some money for this lens as I bought it new from Pentax Sweden, the A* I stumbled upon at a bargain price in Germany.
When I combine the two prices and divide them by two, I paid a fair price for both ;-)

lenses compared by size

A* image

FA* image

Mike
01-10-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
The definately are of a different design as you can in this image. The FA* is nicer to handle, focussing goed smoother and the tripod collar is not in the way. The A* is smaller, but I don't like the way the tripod collar is attached. Yet the A* is my preferred travell lens because of it's size. When getting up to 1:1 the A* also gives a slightly better distribution of the flash light because of the large hood that can get into the way with a top mounted flash.

In terms of optical quality..... I don't see any difference and have no preferred one when looking at the results they produce. I'm glad I don't have to choose between them, but because of the handling I would say the FA* has a slight advantage. I really had to shell some money for this lens as I bought it new from Pentax Sweden, the A* I stumbled upon at a bargain price in Germany.
When I combine the two prices and divide them by two, I paid a fair price for both ;-)

Mike
Thanks for the first hand experience and the images are just stunning!

How far were you from the insects? Did you crop the images at all? The colour is in deed mesmerising.

I will be happy to own either of them. There was A*200 f4 macro on sale before and I did not snatch the lens altogether.

What would be your guess regarding its price - A*200 f4 macro?

Thanks