Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 70mm macro

I saw very favorable praise on this lens both for macro and portrait. Some even commented that is 'almost too sharp' for portrait. Anyways... if you have this lens:
- Sigma website say it's an internal focus design, some say it's not. Could you clarify if the lens actually extend for macro focusing?
- lens hood: can i attached a 72mm or 77mm filter on the screw-in lens hood? or do i need to get the right filter and attach it directly to the lens?
- can anyone comment on the bokeh quality (as compare to a standard Pentax 50mm f1.7 for example)?
Thanks guys.

Last edited by truonganh; 03-07-2008 at 06:24 PM.
02-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #2

More info can be found here
02-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
I saw very favorable praise on this lens both for macro and portrait. Some even commented that is 'almost too sharp' for portrait. Anyways... if you have this lens:
- Sigma website say it's an internal focus design, some say it's not. Could you clarify if the lens actually extend for macro focusing?
- lens hood: can i attached a 72mm or 77mm filter on the screw-in lens hood? or do i need to get the right filter and attach it directly to the lens?
- can anyone comment on the bokeh quality (as compare to a standard Pentax 50mm f1.7 for example)?
Thanks guys.
I find the bokeh real nice

Click the picture to see more Sigma tests and samples
03-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
well... i bought it.

ok i took a long breath and bought a used copy of this lens from JoeSLO. He happened to be in the same area. Easy cash transaction at Starbuck.
This is one heck of a piece of glass! outstanding resolving power. Attach is a 'reduced resolution' as well as "center" and "corner" cropping of the eye of my cat. Taken wide open f2.8 x 1/90s with flash on my K10D on JPEG. Notice the Razor Thin DOF on the picture, the sharpness on both center and corner crop. Butter smooth bokeh.

Someone have mentioned this lens was "scary sharp". I second that opinion For portrait use one would need to do some PP to remove skin flaws

OK there are plenty of detailed reviews on this lens. But i thought i'd share some more information about the Sigma 70mm macro lens hood:

- the lens hood is made of metal. It is screwed onto the 62mm filter thread. The other side of the lens hood is 77mm. Basically, you can use a 77mm lens cap over this lens hood, but you cannot fit the lens cap on the 62mm thread once the hood is in place. In addtion, I looked at the lens hood 77mm end and it looks like---- [Update:CORRECTION. the lens hood is THREADED to accept a 77mm filter or 77mm lens cap]

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by truonganh; 03-13-2008 at 11:39 PM.
03-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I find curious and strange about this lens is that it is of the same size as the Sigma 105mm macro and even slightly heavier!
03-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Interchangeable Lens Review

A little more infor on this lens. Looks like a good one! JIMBO
03-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

never seen a lens that is too sharp. Spend 2 minutes removing red spots or zits,it's DEAD EASY and a sharp image looks WAY better.

This is with the 100mm macro D-FA

03-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
Some even commented that is 'almost too sharp' for portrait.
I think the word 'almost' should be removed from that statement. Every macro lens is way too sharp for portraiture - unless you are prepared to either put a soft focus filter on the front, or spend a whole bunch of time in post processing getting rid of each and every pore.

I once took a shot of my 58 year old good friend (I destroyed the negs, and we were friends again) with my 100 macro. His comments started with OMG and worked their way South from there.

03-07-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This seems one lens to add to the wish list