Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Takumar Diamond Not Lining Up

Hi guys,

I just acquired myself an old 8 element version of the 50 1.4 Tak. It looks like it is in great shape, however when I put it onto the adapter and the camera (im using the original pentax adapter for m42) for some reason it does not line up properly - the diamond is off center... Here is a picture:

http://s9.postimage.org/pm1jf8s3j/IMG00032_20121101_0218.jpg

I dont think it's the adapter because I also have a Takumar 28 F3.5 and the diamond lines up perfectly / pointing up.

How could have happened that caused this? What are the implications? How could I fix that? Thanks in advance!

Bogdan

Last edited by oxidized; 10-31-2012 at 11:32 PM.
10-31-2012, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a look at the mount threads- are they damaged, perhaps?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-31-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They seem to look okay. It just feels like the lens is in it's final position. Could this be the result of a bad re-assembly job?

I found this thread.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/68099-question...ertakumar.html
Near the bottom there is a picture of a camera/lens with the same problem but no solutions...

Last edited by oxidized; 10-31-2012 at 11:52 PM.
10-31-2012, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My adapter does this with all my lenses, strangely enough. Genuine Pentax, never caused any issues either. Just a weird manufacturing issue I suspect.

11-01-2012, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

As long as it sits tight against the mount and reaches infinity, I wouldn't worry about it. I have a cheap Chinese made adapter, all of my lenses vary position slightly, though I have only one actual Takumar.

They do the same when mounted to my Spotmatic body, so I don't think it has anything to do with the adapter. The lever that actuates the aperture pin in the mount of an M42 body is quite wide to allow for some margin of error, so I think it was expected for all lenses to be slightly different.

As long as the mark isn't at the bottom or something extreme, I really wouldn't suspect anything to be wrong with the lens.

Last edited by elliott; 11-01-2012 at 02:11 AM.
11-01-2012, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Quite normal - none of my Takumars line up top dead centre when on the Pentax adapter on the k20D
11-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the replies! I just tested it and I think infinity focus is present. I have one more question. When I use the focus ring, it is smooth, however there is a TINY amount of play (maybe im just being picky lol). It is definitely not freely moving or anything, but you can feel it with your fingers when you are making the initial rotation. What do you think would cause that? Would it be an easy fix?
11-01-2012, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

My Super Multi-Coated Takumar 50mm f/4 macro doesn't line up to center either. It doesn't really matter since there is no aperture control pin to line up to.

And it has a barely perceptible touch of play when I reverse directions when turning the focus ring although otherwise it moves smoothly. It would probably be fixed by regreasing the helicoid. One of my oldest Minolta lenses does the same but the play lessens with use or on warm days indicating the grease has hardened/dried out.

11-01-2012, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter

Very few M42 lenses "line up", regardless of maker, original cost, or build quality. That is true with both of my Pentax M42 adapters and with each of the five M42 bodies I own. The only exception is that one of my adapters when paired with both my Vivitar 135/2.8 and Vivitar 200/3.5 lines up nicely; nicely enough, in fact, to use the Judas Window on my K-mount SLRs. Go figure.

Steve
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It would probably be fixed by regreasing the helicoid.
What he said...I have a couple lenses that behave as you describe and the fix is to re-lube.

Steve
11-01-2012, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Vivitar 200/3.5 lines up nicely
Komine made with a serial number 28xxxxx? I have one of those, which is nowhere close to lining up, which if they are the same just shows that there is variation even between identical lenses.
11-01-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!
11-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

some of mine are not lined up correctly with the pentax adapter. Infinity OK.
But they do ligned up correctly in SP2 body.
I don't think you should worry about that, as long as your lens can reach infinity.
11-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Komine made with a serial number 28xxxxx? I have one of those, which is nowhere close to lining up, which if they are the same just shows that there is variation even between identical lenses.
This is true. I would expect that it is difficult to precisely machine the entry ramp for the screw thread, though I must add that my former Soviet M39 (LTM) lenses line up perfectly on all three of my LTM bodies.

Steve
11-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is true. I would expect that it is difficult to precisely machine the entry ramp for the screw thread, though I must add that my former Soviet M39 (LTM) lenses line up perfectly on all three of my LTM bodies.

Steve
I'm not familiar with the LTM stuff, but being a rangefinder I would think it would need to be fairly precise to enable the coupling to work for focus. The M42 SLR mounts with the auto pin had a relatively huge margin of error, so I don't think it was worth it for them to machine every one perfectly, "good enough" was fine.