Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Ed in GA

New here and looking for some advice

The local camera shop, from which I purchased my K100D, has recommended that I purchase a Promaster 70-300mm/Macro zoom.

Does anyone here have one? Can anyone tell me anything about it.

I'm fairly sure that "Promaster" is probably just a marketing name and that the lense is, more than likely, manufactured by someone else.

Any thoughts? Advice? Warning?

All comments will be greatly appreciated.

09-19-2006, 05:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you're right - it is a re-badged 'something' lens. The problem is that they sell it cheaper than the original brand for a reason - they save costs on parts somehow, be it lesser glass coatings or cheaper build. I wouldn't buy a Promaster lens for free.

In what kind of photography do you intend to partake?
09-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Ed in GA

[QUOTE=carpents;1045] I wouldn't buy a Promaster lens for free.

QUOTE]

So. have you ever had experience with a Promaster?

I won't be doing a lot of really serious photography. Probably a level or two above P & S.
09-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's like the Sigma 70-300...

Hi!

I'm not familiar with the Promaster line, but if it's just a rebadged Sigma or Tamron 70-300 macro lens, then it's an okay lens. I have the Sigma 70-300mm macro that came as a set with the 28-80mm. I used them for about 2-3 months before switching to all primes. I got some very nice results with the 70-300mm, but it was a bit soft at the long end and at wide apertures, even at 70mm. I did like the way it rendered the out-of-focus background areas, though.

The set I bought was around $200 from Ritz. Depending on how much the Promaster costs, if you just want a cheap zoom to get started with you might want to consider getting the Sigma set. Then you get two lenses covering the 28mm to the 300mm range.

You might also want to consider the 18-55mm Pentax kit lens. It's quite a versatile little zoom in itself.

09-19-2006, 06:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=EddyinGA;1049]
QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
I wouldn't buy a Promaster lens for free.

QUOTE]

So. have you ever had experience with a Promaster?

I won't be doing a lot of really serious photography. Probably a level or two above P & S.
Only picking up others' lenses. I don't mean it to be harsh, simply that the reason they sell the same lens cheaper is because it is cheaper.

What kind of subjects are you interested in? If you're a birder you might want something different than if you're looking to get shots of your toddler running around.

I love my manual focus prime (fixed focal length) lenses, and they provide real value for the money, but I have good eyesight and don't mind taking my time to do things. Not everyone agrees, of course.
09-19-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
Ed in GA

[QUOTE=photo_mom;1053]Hi!

I'm not familiar with the Promaster line, but if it's just a rebadged Sigma or Tamron 70-300 macro lens, then it's an okay lens.

You might also want to consider the 18-55mm Pentax kit lens. It's quite a versatile little zoom in itself.[/QUOTE]

I suspect that you might be correct about it being a re=bagged Sigma, Tamron or perhaps even a Quantaray. For around $150 I think I'm going to go ahead and give it a try. I'll post some photos here taken with it when I get it.

The Pentax 18-55mm Zoom came with the K100D.

Thanks for your comments.

Ed
09-20-2006, 05:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi

I have got a Promaster 100/3.5 macro (1:2) lens and it is very good optically but very plastic construction. Optically I think this is the same as Pentax 100/3.5, without the SMC of course.

Don't know about Promaster 70-300 though.

cheers
Kenny