Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2012, 05:22 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Wood! Excellent piece of advice. The threads are now mostly clean, lubricated and mounted together. Painstaking, though. The stiff spots have disappeared.
Now comes the more difficult part: there are 2 moving parts, not just one: the brass piece, and the main helicoid. How are they supposed to be aligned together?

11-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, at the moment, the 28/3.5 is fully assembled and adjusted for infinity. The focusing feel is a little weird - from being stiff, it now actually has a little play! I can twist it from one end to the other with one finger. Maybe I will try another lubricant some time, with more resistance than PTFE.
I thought I understood what's with the multi-entrance helicoid, but I still don't. By the way, there are not really 3 moving parts, because after you connect the 2 tabs, only the middle (brass) part can be turned, and the 2 exterior ones turn in tandem. When the brass part screws onto the lens helicoid, it also unscrews from the black part. (see this picture for reference)
I just connected the brass piece to the big helicoid, then I saw that the black piece had a groove that was supposed to go into a precise position in the mount piece. The other points that had to be connected were the aperture lever with the F-shaped lever. So on the lens & helicoid assembly, I aligned the groove and the aperture lever at the same angle as the groove and the F lever on the mount piece. It all lined up when inserting the lens & helicoid assembly into the mount piece. Then it was just setting infinity, mounting the focus ring, etc.
Also, my 1000th post
11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Considering it is used to lube drum brake parts on cars, I'm not sure that is the case, the drums on my Gremlin definitely get hotter than any of my lenses and if the grease creeped it would get onto the shoes. The TDS from Permatex says the dropping point is 193C or 380F.

So far I've used it on my Suntar 135mm, Mamiya 60mm macro and Jupiter 9 helicoids without a problem and I like the feel it gives.
All white lithium greases are not created equal. The tube of stuff I have for lubricating ball joints separates out into a thin clear component and white gunk in time. The lithium grease that Kiron used in many of their lenses during the early 80s outgasses and fogs the internal lenses. A high temperature rated grease may be perfectly suitable but caution is my advice.
11-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
All white lithium greases are not created equal.
So true!! Lubricants are formulated for their intended use!

Steve

12-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, lubed another lens with what I had (this PTFE spray), but you can tell it's totally off - the focus ring now feels pretty much like an AF lens, and that on the 50/1.4!
Can someone link me to some good greases in Europe, because all I can find is this, and, well, other kinds of lubricants...
12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

Lube

Vlad, if nothing else, check local sources for high grade sporting firearms and gunsmith supplies. Should be medium viscosity and stable at high and low temperatures - suitable for focus helical sleeves, etc. Perhaps also lubes for fishing tackle.

Hank
12-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Can't you get them from Micro Tools Europe?

http://www.micro-tools.de/en/Greases-Oils/
12-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Vlad, if nothing else, check local sources for high grade sporting firearms and gunsmith supplies. Should be medium viscosity and stable at high and low temperatures - suitable for focus helical sleeves, etc. Perhaps also lubes for fishing tackle.

Hank
I will try, but I usually get intimidated by the sellers and don't know what to ask

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Can't you get them from Micro Tools Europe?

Micro-Tools Europe Tools | Greases & Oils
Of course I could, but then there's the cost

12-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Of course I could, but then there's the cost
Indeed! Their helicoid grease is priced like caviar!

Steve
12-09-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
Pentaxian

But less than what I've seen Nikon and Canon grease going for in smaller quantities.

I've used this on some old telescopes, seems to work fine. Has a very wide temperature range. They ship world-wide with exceptions. I haven't gotten the tools yet to take apart my Minolta lenses.

Helimax XP Camera Telescope Optical Instrument Focusing Helicoid Grease w PTFE | eBay
12-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. If I don't find anything locally, I will buy it, especially since it's not expensive at all. It seems a pretty good solution right now, since it's specially formulated for helicoids. The only thing, what do they mean by "light grease", I hope it won't be too light...
12-10-2012, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

It looks like the same seller has a listing on eBay UK too. It might be easier for you to buy it through the UK site.

It seems a little "soft" on one of my telescopes but it was so gummy before cleaning and relubing that it required a great deal of effort to turn the helicoid. I had this telescope as a child in the mid-1960's so I certainly won't remember the feel when it was new.

My mirror telescope on the the other hand feels a little stiff. The original grease was so dried up that the helicoid would "rattle". I cleaned it as best I could without soaking the threads in solvent. I would have had to remove the optics to do that and have no means to re-align them. So some of the old grease is still in there. I'll probably wipe the threads down again and relube it after using it for awhile.

As long as the grease isn't so soft that the focus creeps from the weight of the lens when pointed up or down I'm happy.
12-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately only the listing is on the UK site, the product still ships from the US.
12-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I got around to taking my Minolta lens apart this morning. It was simple, no special tools required. They were still using slotted screws when the lens was manufactured. I removed the trim ring with the help a shampoo bottle and some rubber grip mat.

The movement feels a touch "stiff" to me but about the same as some of my other manual focus lenses. I'm happy as the focus is smooth now. It would stiffen and loosen up before.
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Grease arrived today. Very high quality, my Takumar 28mm now focuses as new. Now my Russian lenses would benefit from some of this stuff.