Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #31
RaduA

Jeremy,

I guess a wide lens will be anyway big(ger) regardless of aperture. It's about angles after all.

Look at the announced Zeiss 18/3.5 (3 mm really counts big time). It's larger and heavier than the DA 14 already. So I don't think the bottom line for the DA 15 Ltd is weight or size but optical quality (resolution, distorsions, vigneting and CA) and build quality. For the moment the differential would be 1 mm less wide and some f stops in "speed".

I would be interested in how well DA 14 performs on K20D and I maintain my opinion that the replacement will be a DA* (prime or zoom) and the DA 15 Ltd will be just a second less pricier option. I guess now Pentax is trying to focus on higher grade glass (Ltds and *) to offset the small production capacity with higher margins and some lenses may be on the choping block. DA 14 being one of the oldest DA it's a pretty good candidate for replacement in the era of over 10 Mp sensors.

I guess the price of DA 15 Ltd will be very close to what DA 14 costs today and a replacement will come at much higher price.

Radu

07-02-2008, 12:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't be too surprised to see a mockup/prototype of this lens at photokina, but I doubt it'll be on store shelves until sometime next year.
10-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #33

Photos: Albums
Update - I know this thread is a bit dusty, but it is the newest I've seen about the DA 15mm. I just found a roadmap, listed September 22 2008, that has a more solidified name and a little teaser of a picture.

Link to PDF

Looks like it will be small, about DA 35mm size, and F/4. Also slated for a spring 2009 release.

The 14 looks nice to me, but honestly I think a limited kit is looking pretty irresistible at this point. 15/21/40/70, which will fit beautifully in a vintage camera bag I have. Super sharp, pretty fast, as small as it gets. Add the 35mm and you have macro as well.

No cooler kit out there.
10-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I want the whole line of DA limiteds! I wish they were weathersealed though hehe

Can't wait to get them!

10-14-2008, 01:21 AM   #35

Very nice.
Attached Images

10-14-2008, 01:55 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Ha! I'm gonna ditch my Sigma 10-20mm for this one. It seems to be I'm using my Sigma mostly with 14mm focal length and this one looks much more less bulky. Add in the DoF scale and that's it!
10-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
Ever since I saw the new Pentax roadmap, I've been so psyched for the DA 15mm Limited.

Would anyone know any more info on this particuar lens? Like what its maximum aperture might be? Or if it would be smaller than the huge 14mm lens? How much would it probably be priced? And most importantly, when is it gonna be available?!
Probably, it will be available before the 60-250.
I say this in all seriousness. Pentax seems to be of the opinion that good quality mid range telephotos are not desirable lenses.
10-14-2008, 11:48 AM   #38
MrA

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
Ha! I'm gonna ditch my Sigma 10-20mm for this one. It seems to be I'm using my Sigma mostly with 14mm focal length and this one looks much more less bulky. Add in the DoF scale and that's it!
That's what interests me. I'm toying with getting a 10-20 in the next year or so, but want to see how it performs. Smaller lenses are just easier for travel.

02-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #39
Veteran Member

I'm saving my pennies, at the mo I could probably afford this but then I need to buy the k30d too
02-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #40
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisN Quote
Very nice.
Man, that is the lens what im about to get!
Ive been looking for a wide-angle lens (10-20sigma, 10-17pentax) but IF this 1 comes to stores at spring 2009, i save my money for it!
I allready have 35mm ltd and its my favourite and most used lens!
Lets hope we hear more of 15mm in PMA.