Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #1

DA 15mm Limited

Ever since I saw the new Pentax roadmap, I've been so psyched for the DA 15mm Limited.

Would anyone know any more info on this particuar lens? Like what its maximum aperture might be? Or if it would be smaller than the huge 14mm lens? How much would it probably be priced? And most importantly, when is it gonna be available?!

02-09-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its kind of strange they have a 14mm prime and a 21mm, then they go and introduce a 15mm only 1mm from the 14... A 17mm or 18mm would have made more sense..

I suppose if it is smaller than the 14mm it may still be worthwhile, though I imagine it may not be 2.8 in that case? Though I guess a great quality f3.5 that is a fair bit smaller than the 14mm I would probably buy.
02-09-2008, 04:01 AM   #3

Original Poster
yup, the choice of focal length was indeed strange, although if they do make it considerably smaller and faster, then it's just like they made a leaner and meaner version of the 14mm.

Hmmm... so does that mean it's probably going to be more expensive than the 14mm?
02-09-2008, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My bet is on a 15/3.5 fisheye pancake. I don't see them putting out competition for the 14mm, but something similar in size and image quality to the 17/4 Takumar would sell like hot cake...hot pancakes

02-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #5

Original Poster
oh god no, please not a fisheye.

nothing against fisheyes, but I was hoping for a fast ultra-wide angle rectilinear prime. The 14mm was my best choice until news of the 15mm came out, so I'm waiting for more news on the 15mm before I pull the gun on the 14mm...

if i end up having too many issues on the uwa primes, i might end up settling for the 12-24...
02-09-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It will be probably f3.5 and slightly smaller build than Da 14. With a label of "limited", it would probably charge slightly less than Da 14mm f2.8 as well
02-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
It will be probably f3.5 and slightly smaller build than Da 14.
That's my guess too, although I'm more wishing for something to replace with the old 20mm f/2.8 SMC P-FA. Something that's light (300g?), sharp, 8 or 9 blades, contrasty and with acceptable barrel distortion. I don't care if its a pancake (how could it be). The 21mm f/3.2 is not wide enough. The 14mm f/2.8 is tempting but might have a bit too much distortion, and is large. A smaller 15 or even 16mm but just as fast is the sweet spot for me.

I am tempted by a zoom, the DA* 16-50mm. In this day and age I am sure it's as good as the primes (yes? no?). Unfortunately there's the little issue of price, £530.

02-09-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Inactive Account

DA* zooms are quality lenses, but primes still are sharper based on the photos that I'vec ompared.
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
DA* zooms are quality lenses, but primes still are sharper based on the photos that I'vec ompared.
Hi Tux, can you point me to where these might have been tested side by side?
The photos at Pentax Photogallery look pretty amazing, but are too small to properly judge.
02-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
The photos at Pentax Photogallery look pretty amazing, but are too small to properly judge.
I don't think they were ever properly tested side by side. I was just comparing photos from both lenses on pbase. I'm a little biased, but I love primes. I love shooting with my F 50/1.7 and haven't used my kit lens, since I got it. Since I have this preference, I really just go for primes. My nex lens will be a DA 21/3.2 Limited. Once I get it, I'm going to sell my kit lens because I'll have the wide and normal rnages covered with two lenses. Yes, zooms can be convenient, but you can take any shot with any lens. You have to use your feet with a zoom and a prime. And the first saying applies to a lot of situations, but you need to be reasonable.

In this case, you just need to try both lenses and pick one that you like. To me, the pictures from certain primes seem sharper than that of the DA* 16-50/2.8. However, that's really subjective when you're dealing with these kinds of lenses with absolutely amazing quality. You should just pick what you like to shoot with more. It's as simple as that. To get a good idea, you should just look on pbase for photos.
02-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Speaking of new wide-angles..... I wonder if that recently announced Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 will get a new coat and a neato green ring on it? Maybe even a little "*"?
02-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
Speaking of new wide-angles..... I wonder if that recently announced Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 will get a new coat and a neato green ring on it? Maybe even a little "*"?
Now THAT would be sweet!
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I would normally suggest photozone.de but they don't have a 16-50 review up as yet.. I'm sure it can't be too far off?
02-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
My bet is on a 15/3.5 fisheye pancake. I don't see them putting out competition for the 14mm, but something similar in size and image quality to the 17/4 Takumar would sell like hot cake...hot pancakes
Agreed! We all expected DA 35 to be FA 35/2 in DA packaging but no, it turned out to be DA 35/2.8 MACRO!!! Surprise!!!

Now we may expect DA 15mm to be rectilinear but we should not forget it's Pentax and another surprise in the form of DA 15/3.5 FISH-EYE is indeed a very real possibility.

The only alternative option that will not be a direct competitor to DA 14 would be DA 15/4.5 Limited pancake: 1.5 stops slower than DA 14/2.8 should be enough to put DA 15/4.5 Ltd. in a completely different category.

So my bet is on a DA 15/3.5 Fish-Eye or a DA 15/4.5 rectilinear (+/- 1/3 stop).
02-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Da 17/27/73

That's my guess too, although I'm more wishing for something to replace with the old 20mm f/2.8 SMC P-FA. Something that's light (300g?), sharp, 8 or 9 blades, contrasty and with acceptable barrel distortion. I don't care if its a pancake (how could it be). The 21mm f/3.2 is not wide enough. The 14mm f/2.8 is tempting but might have a bit too much distortion, and is large. A smaller 15 or even 16mm but just as fast is the sweet spot for me.
I would be happy with what I call "triple seven" combination, regular DA primes (non-limiteds, non-pancakes but still light and compact enough), sharp and well corrected, and each under $500. Here is what I mean (+/-1/2 f-stops):

DA 17/2.8
DA 27/1.7
DA 73/2.0 MACRO

That trio would be all I would ever need.

After a bit of thinking, I don't see myself buying DA 15 (too wide) or any of the current DA Ltds: DA 21 is just a bit wider that I'd like and too slow to serve as a general purpose normal-wide; DA 35 MACRO is sort of weird focal length for a macro and too slow for a 24x7 normal; DA 40... um... I do not understand the idea behind it; DA 70 is just about right, but why it's not a MACRO?