Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

Dropped lens

It happens to the best of us, however I dropped the most expensive lens I own (the DA* 55mm)

It no longer is giving AF-Lock signals to the camera- goes smoothly to infinity to macro and back before the little green dot flashes in the optical viewfinder.

It's now a great manual video lens, but I kinda need this lens with it's AF working for all the portrait photography I do.

Do I have any repair or warranty options?

11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a positive attitude to have. Warranty may not cover such accidental damage but you can try with your provider.
11-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

That sucks. Does it have any apparent damage? Can you at least use CiF with it?
11-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
hmmm

CiF? is that Constant in Focus? What dat do?

And there is a small crack on section of the barrel where the red dot is, it's located about 1.5-2 inches off to the right of it.

(hopefully that makes sense)

11-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Repair maybe an option and a lot of repair shops have an assessment fee if you don't go ahead, but don't charge it if you get it repaired. Wife dropped her Sigma 105 macro. Obvious damage, got it repaired for well less than a new one. She isn't 100% happy with it sense but that may not be all the lens fault.

Warranty isn't an option but insurance maybe, our contents covers away from home. Excess is sometimes the stumbling block here though.
11-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, you might try focusing in live view, but I meant "catch in focus" (which prevents the shutter from going off until focus is confirmed. This function works with manual lenses, maybe if you can use it with the 55mm you won't need to repair it just yet)
11-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll experiment while I wait for quotes to come back from the repair centers. I can use the poor-mans portrait lens aka the 50-200mm WR lens for now, but it's not good for indoor pictures.
Attached is a post-damage picture, I dropped it right before the photoshoot too!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
I can use the poor-mans portrait lens aka the 50-200mm WR lens for now, but it's not good for indoor pictures.
You'd be better off picking up an M50-1.7 til you get the DA*55 repaired...

Sorry for your loss... I actually groaned for you...

11-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

It happens to the best of us, however I dropped the most expensive lens I own (the DA* 55mm)

It no longer is giving AF-Lock signals to the camera- goes smoothly to infinity to macro and back before the little green dot flashes in the optical viewfinder.

It's now a great manual video lens, but I kinda need this lens with it's AF working for all the portrait photography I do.

Do I have any repair or warranty options?

I've used the Pentax Imaging Repair Service in the past and got very good service. They'll call or email with a no obligation estimate.
11-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I've sent my lens to Pentax Repair, but it's been a week and the repair team hasn't contacted me yet...

How long does it usually take for them to reach out to me?
11-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I've sent my lens to Pentax Repair, but it's been a week and the repair team hasn't contacted me yet...

How long does it usually take for them to reach out to me?
Well there are quite a few factors here. Did you send it by mail? Depending on where you live and what time of year it is, it can take a long while before it gets delivered to the repair place. The other factor is how busy they are, but they should contact you a couple days after getting it (provided you gave them the correct contact info). The repair itself can be quick or slow, depending on the problem with the lens. All you can do in the mean time is familiarize yourself with your other lenses..