Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A Wider (Samyang) View on my K7, Finally

After moving to Pentax early this year with the K7 and 18-55 WR, I soon picked up some nice older manual lenses - but I struggled to find anything really wide (and budget) for my favourite landscape work. Got a bit of advice via the UK forum and from a few reviews, and finally settled on the Samyang 14mm f2.8 IF ED UMC Aspherical.

As I'm sure many here will know, this is a manual focus lens and it comes with an aperture ring including the 'A' setting for Pentax, giving full Av & M exposure control on the body. Its functionality on a DSLR therefore is similar to Pentax A series manual focus lenses. It has a reputation for high image resolution, with noticable barrell distortions at the edges. It covers a full 35mm frame however (will be interesting to use it in the future on a FF body!) so actually on APS-C sensors you're cutting off a fair bit of this distortion as I see it. I have had it out and about over the last couple of months, and I have got a few shots to share and throw up for your opinion and general comment, and for those interested in this lens.

Firstly I've got a few shots of the lens and K7 combination - it is a serious bit of kit 'feel-wise', with its large front element, and both the focus and aperture rings are tight in movement. Very solid and reassuring in use. You can't fit a polariser, but I hae 'ont found this to be a problem as the sky colours from it are deep, and contrast is high. I also use a software polarising filter if it helps an image.

Then I've got a few shots, taken in generally good light conditions. The garden is Canazarro Park, Wimbledon, London, and the houses are just around my area.

Last edited by mcgregni; 04-22-2016 at 04:26 AM.
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shots and congrats on the lens. This lens has lots of fans here, with good reason it seems.
11-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A truly excellent lens--one of my favorites. Congrats, and show us many more pics taken with it!
11-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on finding a wide lens for your K-7.