Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x went weird with this lens

Was fishing around the local second-hand shops in the city and found this lens:

I forgot if it's a Helios or a Ricoh. One thing's for sure, that it did fit the mount snugly so I'm sure it's compatible with Kmount, but when I tried shooting with it, the shutter doesn't fire completely, and when I turn the camera off and on again, it flips the mirror over and over. Weird.

When I try shooting, the VF dims a bit, but the shutter won't come off. It's like it got stuck in the middle of taking the shot. Then I reboot the camera and it goes amok. Using other lenses though, the problem disappears. The aperture lever on the lens doesn't seem broken, and moves just like it should too.

Seeing the problem it may cause, I opted not to buy it... Too bad, seemed like a good find...

11-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It appears to be a manual lens. Unless you follow the correct routine for shooting with a manual lens, it can be difficult to get the shutter to fire and the exposure is likely to be way off. Mirror "flipping" sound more like dust removal firing up (?). Check Adam's post on using manual lenses. I still get it wrong half the time

If the lens is a Helios, check the Russian lens group for info on whether it is likely to be a good one.
11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yup it is a manual lens, but strangely my M 50 and the other K-mount lenses I tried that day worked just fine. It's just this one that behaves weird.
11-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

Mirror hitting rear element? I've only heard of this problem with full format cams though, not crop.