Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Recommended prime lenses for K1000

Hi, I bought a K1000 months ago and is getting good photo from it using the standard 50mm f/2 Pentax-M lens.

I'd like to explore other focal lengths, so I'm asking for PRIME lens suggestions here. I might invest on Pentax digital system in the future, so the lens need to be non-DA standard, otherwise it won't be usable on my K1000.

After doing some research, I think for wide-angle I should start with a 28mm and for telephoto I should start with 135mm (so I'll have a prime for wide, normal, and tele each). I am a prime lens user and don't mind manual focus (I shot slowly). I'm not a particular fans for bokeh and rarely open up wider than f/4. For now I want to stick to low budget so old or third party lenses are okay too (screw mount okay too!). Aiming for price range 30-100USD including shipping.

I heard the Tokina 28mm f/2.8 is cheap and has reasonable performance. But I'm (very) open for other lens suggestions. Thanks.

p/s: add a few notes here...I picked 28mm also because the lens could act as a circa. 35mm equivalent on my future DSLR, so although 35mm lens is also wide-angle it isn't my first choice (becomes 50mm equiv. on DSLR and thus overlapping with K1000's lens).

11-04-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the 28 and the 135 are both good choices. Of course, if you want to get crazy, the 31 and 77 ltds are both incredible choices, too. Even with crop factors when you decide to go digital makes the 31 more of a "standard" focal length, the bokeh, contrast and overall build of these two gems make them worth it. And of course, if you can pick up an FA*85, all the better. These lenses are what separates Pentax from the Canon/Nikon universe.............and separates poor LBA sufferers from their money.........
11-04-2012, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Giveaway winner!

What do-ya want t'shoot!

The following is for the 135 format and from my memory by focal length and there general use and I'm sure many may disagree.
15mm& 20mm is the wow-wee wide and your wallet must be as wide!... also some affordable non-Pentax types out there, but distortions will be there too.
24mm for the wide panoramic coverage. Scenic wide. Group shot wide. Close in and a little funny at times.
28mm decent wide for any time. A good utility wide.
30mm a little less and yet comfortable angle.
35mm as if your general wide angle... seems much like the view from your eyes.
40mm is the pancake lens... sneaky at times
50mm... you know.
85mm is a little intimate closer.
100mm is the tighter portrait.. more intimate.
105mm ... just here as it is a well regarded lens.
120mm is bringing it in.
135mm is a nice balance at times of narrow depth and flexible closeness
150mm a "pick'em off" portrait.
200mm at this point I'd say birding possible.
300mm very birding possible.
400mm is nice and close.
500mm just so super close.
600+... well you must get the idea at this point.

2000mm... thats just stupid close!
11-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Hi, I bought a K1000 months ago and is getting good photo from it using the standard 50mm f/2 Pentax-M lens.

I'd like to explore other focal lengths, so I'm asking for PRIME lens suggestions here. I might invest on Pentax digital system in the future, so the lens need to be non-DA standard, otherwise it won't be usable on my K1000.

After doing some research, I think for wide-angle I should start with a 28mm and for telephoto I should start with 135mm (so I'll have a prime for wide, normal, and tele each). I am a prime lens user and don't mind manual focus (I shot slowly). I'm not a particular fans for bokeh and rarely open up wider than f/4. For now I want to stick to low budget so old or third party lenses are okay too (screw mount okay too!). Aiming for price range 30-100USD including shipping.

I heard the Tokina 28mm f/2.8 is cheap and has reasonable performance. But I'm (very) open for other lens suggestions. Thanks.

p/s: add a few notes here...I picked 28mm also because the lens could act as a circa. 35mm equivalent on my future DSLR, so although 35mm lens is also wide-angle it isn't my first choice (becomes 50mm equiv. on DSLR and thus overlapping with K1000's lens).
The old classic standard kit for 35mm film shooters has always been a 28mm wide, 50/55mm normal and a 135mm telephoto. Most of us older forum members started with this kit way back when.

The K28/3.5 or M28/3.5 and the K135/3.5 or M135/3.5 are recommended, though the K28/3.5 might be hard to get for under $100.00.

Phil.

11-04-2012, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Definitely!
11-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an M-50mm 1.4 on my MX... The combo is a joy to use (I should use it more...)
11-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ari Quote
Even with crop factors when you decide to go digital makes the 31 more of a "standard" focal length, the bokeh, contrast and overall build of these two gems make them worth it.
Yes I'm also thinking of investing all money into one 31mm limited lens and then use it for a long time before I add another lens to my collection...

11-04-2012, 11:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
What do-ya want t'shoot!

The following is for the 135 format and from my memory by focal length and there general use and I'm sure many may disagree.
15mm& 20mm is the wow-wee wide and your wallet must be as wide!... also some affordable non-Pentax types out there, but distortions will be there too.
24mm for the wide panoramic coverage. Scenic wide. Group shot wide. Close in and a little funny at times.
28mm decent wide for any time. A good utility wide.
30mm a little less and yet comfortable angle.
35mm as if your general wide angle... seems much like the view from your eyes.
40mm is the pancake lens... sneaky at times
50mm... you know.
85mm is a little intimate closer.
100mm is the tighter portrait.. more intimate.
105mm ... just here as it is a well regarded lens.
120mm is bringing it in.
135mm is a nice balance at times of narrow depth and flexible closeness
150mm a "pick'em off" portrait.
300mm very birding possible.
400mm is nice and close.
500mm just so super close.
600+... well you must get the idea at this point.

2000mm... thats just stupid close!

Nice summary! I think I'll stick to one 28mm and one 135mm.
11-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mythguy9 Quote
Nice summary! I think I'll stick to one 28mm and one 135mm.
I could live with a similar pair on my K5 - (FA35 & D-FA100macro)

Shot a couple on my MZ-7 today with the F35-70 & FA50 on some fuji superior 400
11-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
I'm going to be a contrarian here; not about your selection of primes, but about the type of lens you are looking at.

Older primes can be wonderful tools, but if as you indicate that you are looking to some day take these lens to a Pentax digital camera, you really, really should be looking at A-series lenses or newer (F or FA). Yes you can use non-A capable lens on digital cameras, but in every case you will either be giving up some loss of functionality or use forced to use work-arounds. A, F and FA series lenses will be fully functional on your K-1000 using the aperture ring. They will also be fully functional on your future digital camera (with the exception of auto-focus for the A-series).

For what it's worth, I kept both my K-A 50mm - f/1.7 and K-A 28mm - f/2.8 when I moved from my Super Program to my K-r. Lovely glass.
11-06-2012, 12:03 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
I'm going to be a contrarian here; not about your selection of primes, but about the type of lens you are looking at ...A, F and FA series lenses will be fully functional on your K-1000 using the aperture ring. They will also be fully functional on your future digital camera (with the exception of auto-focus for the A-series).

For what it's worth, I kept both my K-A 50mm - f/1.7 and K-A 28mm - f/2.8 when I moved from my Super Program to my K-r. Lovely glass.
Thanks, so far I've considered some A or F lenses. I'm happy that Pentax still keep the aperture ring on these lenses, for K-mount users that's a gem. I'm starting to like this aspect of Pentax.