Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Interesting.......I don't know if another body just for T/S is something I want to get into but I appreciate the info. Like so many others I am waiting and hoping for a Pentax FF in the next year or two, and if not I may switch systems altogether. We'll see

Thanks!

George

11-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Low budget and staying in Pentax land for product shots with 90+ mm focal length. Sounds like an ideal application of the Zoerk system with tilt, shift and extension tubes.
Other brands offer 85/90 mm tilt shift lenses - but you would need to sitch system.
11-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The Samyang is out I think and must be a top contender. I mean, sharpness was your key objective, and based on what the recent offerings from Samyang have shown, then this new 24mm T/S will be sharp as sharp can be!

I have the 14mm, and what is nice about these Samyangs is the A setting on the aperture ring, giving us Pentax people really a lot of auto control, so exposure controls will be one less thing to contend with and you can just get on with all that tilting and shifting.

From what it looks like in the magazine pictures, and based on the pedigree, it should be a fairly serious piece of kit. I believe this new 24mm actually offers full frame coverage, so you've got a crop factor for now on Pentax anyway, and later on any new FF model you'll have a wide view as well.

In the meantime if you need a longer focal length, would a Pentax 2x converter work with this lens, could anyone comment? You just have a couple of stops light loss to worry about, but for this kind of shooting (on a tripod I've have thought mostly) it won't be an issue.
12-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Removed

Last edited by newmikey; 12-23-2012 at 04:36 PM.
12-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are actually quite a few T/S lenses out there, but they are all expensive.
The cheapest is probably the Arsat lens, which I think also comes in K-mount (or at least m42): Arax Photo | Specials | PCS ARSAT 2.8/35mm Shift lens.
There are also the Schneider-Kreuznach lenses, which tend to be expensive.
I think there are also Hartblei TS lenses/adapters that can be used on Pentax..
But the cheapest way is probably to use an adapter and an old medium format lens like a Pentacon six or Pentax 67. Among others there is the Mirex M645-M42 Tilt/Shift Adapter. Oh, and maybe lensbaby, but I don't know about that.. DIY, if you are proficient with that sort of stuff. Or wait for the Samyang, which we don't know much about.
Now, I don't actually have any of those, that is just what i remember from the top of my head when I was researching TS lenses before deciding they are too expensive to justify a purchase
12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
The Samyang is out I think
Not yet, looks like some time in the spring.
02-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just an update if anyone is interested. I just pulled the trigger on a 645 A 45 2.8 & a Mirex tilt-shift adapter. I think I may be a little crazy to drop that kind of money (the adapter alone was $600) but I really wanted to try T/S & get a good setup from the start. I should receive everything within a couple of weeks & will post some photos & my overall experience with the setup when I've had a little time to play with it.

Thanks again!

George
02-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gsrokmix Quote
Just an update if anyone is interested. I just pulled the trigger on a 645 A 45 2.8 & a Mirex tilt-shift adapter. I think I may be a little crazy to drop that kind of money (the adapter alone was $600) but I really wanted to try T/S & get a good setup from the start. I should receive everything within a couple of weeks & will post some photos & my overall experience with the setup when I've had a little time to play with it.
Yes, some of us will indeed be interested! I've been contemplating the Mirex adapter also.

02-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #24

Personally I'd probably pick the lens with tilt/shift capabilities I want and get an adapter for the mount, that would be the cheaper route IMHO.

But my solution would be to just get a monorail (which would be dirt cheap in comparison to the TS lens route) and scan the 4x5 negatives.
02-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
Site Supporter

What will you use tilt and shift for? Studio work with a 70+ mm lens or wide angles between 24 and 35 mm?
Before buying a medium format wide angle lens of 40-60 mm focal length I would consider Samyang, Schneider or used Pentax shift lenses. If you use medium format lenses, use focal lengths above 70mm to get decent results - better sharpness, less distorion. It is a big mistake to assume that medium format lenses are better than 35 mm lenses. The opposite is true - so you need the very best medium format lenses in front of a 35 mm camera. Correcting the distortion of shifted lenses will not work in PS, et al. as they always correct symmetrically from the center - only the Alpa lens corrector for distroion correction will be different (free plugin for PS).