Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some Advice re: eBay

I have purchased hundreds of items off of eBay with few problems. Lately things have gone down hill.

I just bought a lens. It came today. It has a little "hitch" in it in that when you focus around 15 feet, it kind of binds and then "clicks." It then continues on and is fine. When the zoom is extended the hitch is still there only a little less pronounced.

It sounds like some little spring somewhere is catching on something. Also, the front element on the lens is a little loose. Seems like it has a little too much play... a little more than a full 1/8 of an inch at the lowest zoom setting before the zoom ring picks up the movement. It's a Pentax F zoom, and none of my other F/FAs have anywhere near this kind of play.

Seems all wrong. So I write the guy back and tell him that I want to return the lens because...

He writes:

"Hi there, I am sorry you are not happy with the lens. I am totally fine if you want to return it, though I am very surprised about your description about the lens and wondering whether it is the lens I sent. Anyway, you will got refunded after I received the lens I sent to you. Sorry again and hope you still have a nice weekend."

Now, I feel a little like I am being set up for a claim that I switched the lens. So I go look closely at the auction. The lens sent has a nice JCII sticker right next to the info on the barrel. Sure enough, the lens pictured in the auction does NOT have the JCII sticker. The guy says in his auction that he is getting rid of one because he has two. I guess he sent the "other" one.

Is this some kind of setup or WHAT? What do I do to protect myself here? I paid through Paypal, so I am tempted to file a complaint with them to document my concerns up front.

I don't like confrontation. I prefer to work things out like an adult. Problem is some people won't do that. I can't PROVE that what I am returning is what was sent. It IS. So what do I do? If I send it back and he claims it is not what he sent, I am probably out what I paid plus postage back to him and back to me again - if I am lucky.

Advice would be appreciated. Last eBay purchase for me. Seriously. It's not worth the hassles.

woof

02-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ebay's only as good as its sellers.
I'm now careful what things I buy from there, but even with all caution exercised, not all problems can be averted.

If you don't believe the lens you bought was worth the money you paid, simply return it and ensure your refund has gone through, documenting it on PayPal for the record.

A good lens thesedays is hard to find, and you'll need to set aside a few extra bucks to get one that doesn't make you pull your hair out.
02-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

I'd go ahead and open a paypal complaint anyways, just in case you send it back and he 'forgets' to give you a refund. Then you can escalate the claim and paypal will probably get your money back. I've done this twice under different circumstances and its gone fine in the end. Just make sure you have a delivery confirmation number to provide to show he got it back.
02-09-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Now, since I've joined this forum, I've gotten to the point where if I can get something I want from another member, I'd rather do that than get it from Fleabay. I think with this group being smaller and more specialized, makes for a better buying experience. On Fleabay, there are plenty of honest sellers (like me), but you really have to be careful for the sellers who are out to make a buck at the expense of their integrity.

It's also nice to know that people around here understand why I would want to know whether or not a lens has an A on the aperture ring.

Unless what you're looking for is really oddball, chances are you can get it through the marketplace if either you are willing to wait until someone posts it for sale or to put up a WTB post. At least you don't have to worry about getting outbid.

Heather

02-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

This actually happened to me only I was the seller, and I made the mistake. I sent the wrong item, the one I wanted to keep that was very similar to the one I was selling. It was a accident and happened because I shipped about 10 auctions at once. Anyway the buyer contacted me, I acknowledged the mistake and fixed the problem, also refunded his original shipping payment, plus the rest of the shipping expense to fix the goof.

I admit that your situation does sound a little fishy, and you should probably take some steps up front with PayPal and Ebay to get everything on record. In the end it could be an honest mistake.....
02-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Oceanic above. Open up the pp complaint anyway. Is there a way to do that so the seller won't be notified unless you decide to follow thru? And for sure get verification that he receives the lens back. I've found the pp people to be pretty good. If you explain you worries to them I'm sure something can be worked out. I also agree with Heather, this forum is a much easier place to buy and sell lenses. Other than that I most always buy thru KEH, they are a very reputable firm. The two lenses I've returned have been accepted back w/o any questions.

NaCl(and another reason why I avoid eek bay)H2O
02-09-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have been using eBay for only a year or so, exclusively w/PP except where the seller does not accept it. Twice I have found that items did not meet descriptions and my first contact with the seller made my uncomfortable. In both cases I immediately informed my card co. (AMEX) and PP and then the seller. Resolution was achieved quickly with no problems and no
undue costs.........
02-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Now, since I've joined this forum, I've gotten to the point where if I can get something I want from another member, I'd rather do that than get it from Fleabay. I think with this group being smaller and more specialized, makes for a better buying experience. On Fleabay, there are plenty of honest sellers (like me), but you really have to be careful for the sellers who are out to make a buck at the expense of their integrity.

It's also nice to know that people around here understand why I would want to know whether or not a lens has an A on the aperture ring.

Unless what you're looking for is really oddball, chances are you can get it through the marketplace if either you are willing to wait until someone posts it for sale or to put up a WTB post. At least you don't have to worry about getting outbid.

Heather
I would have to agree. I have bought two voightlanders and just received the 1.7x Pentax teleconverter all through nice members on this board via the marketplace. The items are in perfect condition and the prices extremely reasonable. Granted I would definately consider the ratings of members sellings as well as how frequently they visit the forums/posts etc as of late there have been a few people with one or two posts trying to sell items over the marketplace (even a few linking to an ebay auction).

I personally would never buy anything over ebay unless it was through paypal or a credit card that would be able to guarantee the refund/guarantee the transaction. Just too many people out there to scam you or looking to to turn a quick profit by selling shabby items and claiming they broke in the mail or you never hear from again when you to attempt to return it. Just my thought on it.

Oh to add - if you can't find it here on the marketplace - check out the used section at b+h. you can get some good deals there too from time to time.

02-09-2008, 10:31 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
I have purchased hundreds of items off of eBay with few problems. Lately things have gone down hill.

I just bought a lens. It came today. It has a little "hitch" in it in that when you focus around 15 feet, it kind of binds and then "clicks." It then continues on and is fine. When the zoom is extended the hitch is still there only a little less pronounced.

It sounds like some little spring somewhere is catching on something. Also, the front element on the lens is a little loose. Seems like it has a little too much play... a little more than a full 1/8 of an inch at the lowest zoom setting before the zoom ring picks up the movement. It's a Pentax F zoom, and none of my other F/FAs have anywhere near this kind of play.

Seems all wrong. So I write the guy back and tell him that I want to return the lens because...

He writes:

"Hi there, I am sorry you are not happy with the lens. I am totally fine if you want to return it, though I am very surprised about your description about the lens and wondering whether it is the lens I sent. Anyway, you will got refunded after I received the lens I sent to you. Sorry again and hope you still have a nice weekend."

Now, I feel a little like I am being set up for a claim that I switched the lens. So I go look closely at the auction. The lens sent has a nice JCII sticker right next to the info on the barrel. Sure enough, the lens pictured in the auction does NOT have the JCII sticker. The guy says in his auction that he is getting rid of one because he has two. I guess he sent the "other" one.

Is this some kind of setup or WHAT? What do I do to protect myself here? I paid through Paypal, so I am tempted to file a complaint with them to document my concerns up front.

I don't like confrontation. I prefer to work things out like an adult. Problem is some people won't do that. I can't PROVE that what I am returning is what was sent. It IS. So what do I do? If I send it back and he claims it is not what he sent, I am probably out what I paid plus postage back to him and back to me again - if I am lucky.

Advice would be appreciated. Last eBay purchase for me. Seriously. It's not worth the hassles.

woof
Hi, I would like to comment on this post.

I recently sold a lens to a buyer who owned a *istD. The lens would not focus in at infinity on his camera. With no questions asked I requested the return o f the lens so I could test it out on a *istD body.

In fact this lens worked flawlessly on both the K10D and SF10. Upon the return i borrowed a *istD body from a member of our local Pentax camera club and found this lens would not function at infinity with this body.

He was immediately refunded on my end.

Pentax SMC F Zoom 35-135 f3.5-4.5 Auto focus for D/SLR - eBay (item 280191301807 end time Jan-17-08 19:03:20 PST)

If the seller of a lens on eBay will not stand behind the item, ask them before you bid if they do so, do not even consider bidding if they do not.

In your case make sure the serial number of the lens matches.

More advice.

If a seller does not show the Glass and serial number "clearly" be very wary of the transaction.

I am not a member of this forum to "promote" or solicit any of my eBay listings. I am here to be a part of the Pentax community.
02-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote

woof
woof, open a complaint thru PayPal to have it documented, and do all your correspondence through it. Document what you explained above in a non accusational way there. It doesn't have to be escalated to a case if the seller is kewl, but this allows you to be able to do so before your time expires. The rules about having PayPal provide you protection are very stringent, time is very restricted, and you need to follow them else you're on your own.
02-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WendyB Quote
Hi, I would like to comment on this post.

I recently sold a lens to a buyer who owned a *istD. The lens would not focus in at infinity on his camera. With no questions asked I requested the return o f the lens so I could test it out on a *istD body.

In fact this lens worked flawlessly on both the K10D and SF10. Upon the return i borrowed a *istD body from a member of our local Pentax camera club and found this lens would not function at infinity with this body.

He was immediately refunded on my end.

Pentax SMC F Zoom 35-135 f3.5-4.5 Auto focus for D/SLR - eBay (item 280191301807 end time Jan-17-08 19:03:20 PST)

If the seller of a lens on eBay will not stand behind the item, ask them before you bid if they do so, do not even consider bidding if they do not.

In your case make sure the serial number of the lens matches.

More advice.

If a seller does not show the Glass and serial number "clearly" be very wary of the transaction.

I am not a member of this forum to "promote" or solicit any of my eBay listings. I am here to be a part of the Pentax community.
I wonder if this is characteristic of all copies of this lense.....
02-10-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all that replied. Very helpful. I guess we'll see what happens. If negative, I'll update this thread so you'll know...

Thanks again.

woof!