Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Came up with this lens setup. Looking for feedback.

Hey all

I've have my K30 for a month now. I've been shooting everyday, and I've been thinking about a sort of "lens roadmap" as far as what kind of lenses I want to get within the next 6-8 months.

I got the K30 to accompany me on my outdoor activities, meaning action shots and the occasional landscape. However, I'm doing a lot of street shooting as well, and since getting a taste of my first prime (a junky M-50mm F2), I want more of that. My experience with that prime also told me that I prefer autofocus lenses. I'm also pretty budget-driven, and I'm big on bang-for-buck (one reason why I chose the K30).

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Tamron 10-24
Pentax DA 35 F2.4
Pentax DA 50-200 WR

Between these three lenses, I think my needs will be well met. The best part is that I can probably get this all for well under $1000. There's also a bit of overlap between the lenses to help minimize the need to swap lenses.

UWA - Tamron 10-24 seems to be the best of the UWA's as far as price and focal range goes. I'm aiming to get this sometime within the first 3-4 months of next year.

Mid range Prime - Pentax DA 35 will basically replace the 18-55 kit lens, since it sits right in the middle of that range. It also seems to have a huge bang-for-buck factor. There's a decent deal in one of my local stores for this lens, and I'll probably pick it up later this week.

Outdoor Main - 50-200 WR is basically the most controversial choice, but I came up with that choice for a few reasons (aiming to get this around Christmas time).

- It fits the telezoom need, but it can go as low as 50 if needed.
- It's weather sealed.
- It's cheap.

Also, I feel the 18-135 WR is kind of overpriced, doesn't go long enough, and there's too much overlap between the range the DA 35 is intended to cover and the most effective range of the 18-135 WR. DA* lenses are pricey, but my future dream is to eventually upgrade the 50-200 WR to the DA* 60-250.

So that's what I've been thinking. Just wanted to get some feedback on this setup.

E

Last edited by EarlVonTapia; 11-06-2012 at 07:13 PM. Reason: mixed up a lense
11-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Tamron 10-24 and its a very solid performer IMHO. The 35/2.4 is a true Pentax Gem and the only negative that anyone can say about it is that it has a plastic mount and no distance scale. Optically, which is what really matters, its a great little lens. The 50-200 is WR and its very small for what it does, but optically its your weak link. I find that the 18-135 stays on my K-5 most of the time and is always in the bag in case the weather turns nasty. It has saved me on several occasions from having to run for cover like the Canikon crowd
11-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter

May I suggest instead of the 50-200 WR you go for a DA or DA L 55-300. It is a stellar lens! I currently put it amongst my most used lenses, of which I have many very pricey ones.

You might lose the WR but you gain 100mm reach and very good sharpness.You'll pay a tad more but it is worth every dollar in my book. I also think you might need a little more flexibility in the 24-50mm range, but that is just a personal thought. I opted for the tamron 17-50mm which is handy.

Last edited by Chaos_Realm; 11-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
11-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter

You will like the DA 35. It's a lovely lens. I have the DA L 55-300 and I've been able to take some really shots with it. I rarely use the kit lens (18-55) and if I had to pick one to leave behind on a trip, it would be this one. Last month I splurged and bought the DA 10-17 fish eye and this month I'm doing the "Single in November" challenge with it and its great fun. As an aside there have been a few DA L 55-300 up for sale in the marketplace recently.

bigted

11-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm excited for the DA35. I think it will pair well with the Tamron 10-24, making for an awesome 2 lens street photography setup, where the DA35 can be for general shots of people and things, and the Tamron for larger scenes/buildings. Also, I put in a bid for the DA35 that's currently in the marketplace, since depending on what the shipping costs are it may be a bit of a better deal than what my local store is selling it for. Either way, I'm getting one soon!

As for the 50-200 WR, I agree that it's probably the weakest link in the set. I never considered either of the 55-300's, but now after the suggestions and looking up some of the reviews, both of the 55-300's look like awesome performers in the "bang for buck" category.

The idea with getting the tele-zoom was for something to bring along on my various outdoor adventures. Using non-WR lenses worries me a bit, since it rains a lot out here (Pacific Northwest) and I'm terrified of damaging either the lens or the body itself. Plus, I won't be able to take full advantage of the super WR of the K30, since I'm scared that water will leak through a non-WR lens into the body. That's probably a topic for another thread though.

I did see the current listings for the 55-300's in the marketplace, but I'm not looking to get the tele-zoom piece until around Christmas time. Perhaps I'll decide then.
11-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Thanks for the replies so far!

I'm excited for the DA35. I think it will pair well with the Tamron 10-24, making for an awesome 2 lens street photography setup, where the DA35 can be for general shots of people and things, and the Tamron for larger scenes/buildings. Also, I put in a bid for the DA35 that's currently in the marketplace, since depending on what the shipping costs are it may be a bit of a better deal than what my local store is selling it for. Either way, I'm getting one soon!

As for the 50-200 WR, I agree that it's probably the weakest link in the set. I never considered either of the 55-300's, but now after the suggestions and looking up some of the reviews, both of the 55-300's look like awesome performers in the "bang for buck" category.

The idea with getting the tele-zoom was for something to bring along on my various outdoor adventures. Using non-WR lenses worries me a bit, since it rains a lot out here (Pacific Northwest) and I'm terrified of damaging either the lens or the body itself. Plus, I won't be able to take full advantage of the super WR of the K30, since I'm scared that water will leak through a non-WR lens into the body. That's probably a topic for another thread though.

I did see the current listings for the 55-300's in the marketplace, but I'm not looking to get the tele-zoom piece until around Christmas time. Perhaps I'll decide then.
If your worried about WR you can still go down the line of the 50-200 or 18-135 at the sacrifice of the IQ and reach, but the 18-135 you get the DC focus motor.... which every new lens should have IMO.But I would suggest getting a rain cover for the camera and 55-300. I have shot a fair bit in 'light rain' with non WR lenses and no umbrella. I just kept it in the bag or under a jacket and pull it out quickly to take the shot, padded it dry with my shirt then put away. Melbourne sees it's share of rain during winter, but it is only a mild temperate climate.
11-07-2012, 05:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I own the Tamron 10-24 and the DA35/2.4, both are good performers. Neither sees as much use since I've got the 18-135WR, it's an absolute gem that I was afraid to buy because of early bad reviews, but I got it on my K-30 kit and I am sure glad I did.

I also own the DA55-300 which I would highly recommend for longer length outdoor shots, I use mine in the rain with an Optec sleeve. The quick shift in the DA version is invaluable in keeping the auto focus noise from scaring wildlife subjects. I would love to have that 60-250 but it's out of my range, but if you really want it start saving.
11-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Adorama sells the DA L 55-300 brand new for $239 on ebay.

Pentax SMC P DAL 55 300mm F 4 5 8 Ed Auto Focus Telephoto Zoom Lens 21897 027075159327 | eBay

Only thing you give up compared to the DA is quick-shift focus and you downgrade from a metal to plastic lens mount. It also doesn't come with a hood like the DA but that can be gotten for pretty cheap as well: 58mm Lens Hood Ph RBG for Pentax SMCP Da 55 300mm F 4 5 8 Ed | eBay

Also check out the Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 as it's similar in price to the Tamron 10-24 and maybe a little better optically.

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 vs F4.0-5.6 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gah! I think I'm sold on the 55-300. We're starting down the slippery slope of paying more for better glass, but I think if I hunt I can still get everything for around $1000 (possibly a little bit over). I think I would go for the DA, so it will retain its resell value better.

Also, I was looking it up last night, and the 50-200 VS 55-300 is a debate that has come up quite often, with most people falling onto the 55-300 side. I think I will too, and I'll deal with the rain as necessary.

I should add, I'm familiar with the extra reach that 300mm gives, since I own the beastly Pentax SMC F 100-300 4-5.6 (and a 2x teleconverter!). I bought it cheap mostly for the LOL factor of looking into my neighbor's apartments and seeing what they're eating for dinner, and stuff like that. It weighs just as much as the K30 itself! And it doesn't collapse! There's no way it's coming on a hike with me.

The Sigma 10-20's are interesting, but I think the extra 4mm range of the Tamron will help reduce the need to swap lenses. I did look at them though. Pentaxforums wrote a nice review that compared the Tamron, 3 sigma offerings, and the native Pentax UWA 12-24, and it was extremely useful in helping me make my decision.
11-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The selection of 50-200 vs 55-300 is a personal one , depending on intended subjects. The additional length can help. Also, and again this is personal choice, I think you really want to keep a zoom lens in the 18-50/70 range in the mix. Here's why. If you gon10-24 and then say 55-300 there is a large gap where you may wish to use a zoom in place of the 35/2.4. It depends, as I say on personal taste, but I find when i am city bound, I can get by with just a 10-20 and 28-75/2.8. I like the F2.8 on the tame on for speed, and generally do not go much longer in cities etc. just going 10-24 and 35 leaves something missing and if you don't want a 300mm zoom and its weight, a middle zoom is useful. Of course you still have the kit lens
11-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #11

looks good
11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Before you spring for the Tamron, consider one of the two Sigma 10-20 models. They are noticeably better optically, AFAIC.

I wouldn't go for a three zoom solution, BTW, and stick to your plan to get a fast prime. You want at least one lens with which you can create shallow depth of field.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that you should definitely try to get the 55-300 instead of the 50-200. The former is quite a bit sharper.

Last edited by Class A; 11-08-2012 at 09:05 PM.
11-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter

haha, there are too many options... yet at the same time, never enough lol!
Probably the best thing to do in my opinion is to buy second hand, test the lens if you like it, keep it. Then if you don't like it you can sell it for little or no cost to you. Except Postage costs I guess.
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would also recommend the sigma 10-20. Been using that for years. Great lens!! Also, you may want to consider a portrait lens. You got all focal lengths between 10 and 200 covered however they are all slow lens. Something as simple as Pentax A 50mm 1.7 could do the job (can easily find one for less than $100) or Rokinon 85 1.4. Just be careful of LBA, it is easily acquired...
11-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Something as simple as Pentax A 50mm 1.7 could do the job
Good point, they can be had for not much money and it is a great lens.
edit: the 55-300, while not an f 1.7, can produce very pleasing results when used as a portrait lens at 55mm.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.