Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Buy what performs not what has a brand name attached to it and you will never be dissapointed.

11-07-2012, 11:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benhai Quote
I prefer hanging a lens that matches the camera brand for sure .
Unrealistic expectation - maybe in your dreams.
11-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Unrealistic expectation - maybe in your dreams.
Well if we all lost this kind of desire then how could pentax be successful

My failure to use pentax lenses should be a shame to pentax.
11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well if we all lost this kind of desire then how could pentax be successful

I doubt that neither Canon nor Nikon really cares about people using their old MF glass instead of a new third party lenses, if anything they will push new third party lenses as there is a chance to earn money trough licensing etc. They get some marketing and maybe new customers though but it's nothing big.

Pentax actually is one of the best camera maker for backwards compatibility (therefor the high prices on some old lenses) and that is mostly a symptom of having to provide something that the other makers don't, simply to be able to survive.

11-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #20
Inactive Account

How is you being unable to afford something the manufacturer's fault?

Also, you're not looking for new stuff, so you're not even a customer, what you buy has absolutely no effect on them.
11-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
How is you being unable to afford something the manufacturer's fault?

Also, you're not looking for new stuff, so you're not even a customer, what you buy has absolutely no effect on them.
+1
Seriously weird thread...why can't I find cheap used good stuff? Well, you could have before the K10D was first released and everyone thought Pentax was a goner
It's supply vs. demand...all the good used stuff was picked up in the K10D...you're a few years late...
11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I think the other poster made the reason clear - Pentax didn't sell as many pro zooms as Nikon and Canon, and they didn't make as many pro zooms either. They were more in the prime business.

Sure, it'd be nice to get more pro zooms going forward..
11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #23

Original Poster
[quote=How is you being unable to afford something the manufacturer's fault?

[/quote]

Yes, I may not able to afford a pro level f2.8 "pentax" lens but hey, I'm using pentax body which means I'm still a customer. How could penatx win business with such an attitude. My company sell IC chips worth more than a high end BMW but we still listen and help the customers who only buy our $5 parts. As a company you have to response to even tiny details of customer wishes. Down the road that tiny wish can turn into big business.

11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How could penatx win business with such an attitude.
It wasn't an attitude...just the realities of the market. When you do more volume in sales, you can afford to make a little less on each lens. Pentax sold lots of primes...not so many fast zooms. Nikon and Canon were selling to every newspaper, magazine, sports photographer on the planet and those guys often bought the expensive zooms because they were business expenses. It's just supply and demand, mostly.
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
when you look at options, Pentax current line does need some fast zooms... not a super zoom, but something like a 70-150 or a 28-105. I think most serious photographers would consider paying more for a more flexable zoom that is fast enough for low light and indoors

just my 2 cents

randy
11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
when you look at options, Pentax current line does need some fast zooms... not a super zoom, but something like a 70-150 or a 28-105. I think most serious photographers would consider paying more for a more flexable zoom that is fast enough for low light and indoors

just my 2 cents

randy
A silent motor and sharp 28-105 like Canon's would be sexy.
11-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote

just my 2 cents

randy
I bet that they are planning at least one, without one Ricohs' plan of getting Pentax back in the game won't be successful. A new fast normal zoom and a "sport" F2.8 tele zoom is needed and they already got the optical constructions, the problem is producing them and to a reasonable cost. It will lower the price of old stuff when they do. I expect the new 560mm to have some impact on used older super tele lenses.
11-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Yes, I may not able to afford a pro level f2.8 "pentax" lens but hey, I'm using pentax body which means I'm still a customer. How could penatx win business with such an attitude. My company sell IC chips worth more than a high end BMW but we still listen and help the customers who only buy our $5 parts. As a company you have to response to even tiny details of customer wishes. Down the road that tiny wish can turn into big business.
Does your company control the cost of their products on the used market? If so, I'd love to see how.

Did you buy your body new? Do you have a K5 or newer? If Pentax hasn't seen any money from you recently and you're not planning to spend any money with them, you're not a customer. I'm not exactly a customer either, I have a very old body and even older glass, Pentax has no reason to listen to any demand I make if I'm not planning on giving them any money.
11-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Does your company control the cost of their products on the used market? If so, I'd love to see how.

Did you buy your body new? Do you have a K5 or newer? If Pentax hasn't seen any money from you recently and you're not planning to spend any money with them, you're not a customer. I'm not exactly a customer either, I have a very old body and even older glass, Pentax has no reason to listen to any demand I make if I'm not planning on giving them any money.
Oh, in this case, Pentax just lost an old customer . On the contrary Nikon got a new customer . For my company, we sponsor lots of university programs just to let students to get familiar the use of our chips, expensive and cheap. Students are not our customers yet but they will in charge of what to use and what to buy in the not far future.
11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Oh, in this case, Pentax just lost an old customer . On the contrary Nikon got a new customer . For my company, we sponsor lots of university programs just to let students to get familiar the use of our chips, expensive and cheap. Students are not our customers yet but they will in charge of what to use and what to buy in the not far future.
What do you expect to gain?