Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Amateur Wedding Photography Setup

So I'll be going to Jamaica at the end of the month for a destination wedding. My gift to the bride and groom will be a photobook of the images I took during the trip.

I'm nowhere close to a pro photographer but I'm confident in my PP skills to create a good wedding photobook. I wanted to run my list of equipment by you guys and see if you had any suggestions.
  • K-5 with battery grip
  • Tammy 17-50 f2.8 for general purpose (w/ Marumi CPL)
  • Renting a 15mm f4 for landscape. Think I should replace this with a fisheye?
  • _________ Need suggestions on a fast prime (30-50mm) for night/creative shots. I have a Sigma 50 f2.8 and a M-50 f.17 but I was thinking something like a f1.4
  • 2 backup batteries
  • 2x 16gb SDHC cards, 1x Eyefi 8gb Pro
  • No flash unit, going natural light. Not going to mess up what the hired pros are doing.
Honestly I'm worried if the 17-50 will be able to do most of the heavy lifting. I'd like to hear your experiences with the Tammy and weddings.

Thanks for your feedback

11-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Take the flash just in case, k-5 not bad hi-iso but still believe me f2.8 isn't good enough in evening even in good light room. Just point it up to ceiling and it will save you some good shots.
11-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

One more thing: fish is good if you want to make super wide angel shots, but aberrations will drive you mad, take 15mm.
11-07-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnnie518 Quote
  • _________ Need suggestions on a fast prime (30-50mm) for night/creative shots. I have a Sigma 50 f2.8 and a...
What's your budget?

11-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
What's your budget?
About $400
11-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
One more thing: fish is good if you want to make super wide angel shots, but aberrations will drive you mad, take 15mm.
Thx for the input. I liked the 15 for the size, but it's too close to the 17-50. I'm looking at the Sigma 10-20 as well.
11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnnie518 Quote
About $400
Then a used FA 50 1.4 or a Sigma 50 1.4, or a Sigma 30/28 1.4

11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
Veteran Member

So...you're only planning to use the CPL outside in daylight, right?

Fast lenses are all well and good but you're probably going to have to stop down to f/2 or a little further in order to get enough DOF. I can tell you from experience that the Tamron 17-50 starts getting nice and sharp at f/3.5, so any lens that gets reasonably sharp results at f/2 should give you more light to work with.

Since I have the FA 35/2 & 50/1.4 I can certainly recommend one or both. The 50 isn't too long that you won't be able to get group shots in a ballroom, whereas the 35 you'll have to get closer to people. So kinda depends on how actively in people's faces you want to be as a guest when there's other pros working the event.
11-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the Tammy is a great lens, deprite its' rather inexpensive. A wedding whaterver is indoor/outdoor or both, light is usually complicated, so using flash ususally is in order, but if you don't is fine.
A fast prime 1.4/1.7 is up to you, the 1.4 when is wide open usually is sort of not sharp, but some like it dream like unsharpness, if u stop down to 1.7, the 1.7 lens are sharper, usually anyway.
if u r into rental, maybe a sigma 85mm/1.4 too?
fish or wide, depends on the photographer really. I feel wides are easiler to use; but fish if you do it right are more dramatic....
...my 2 cents
11-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #10

Are you the main photographer? if so, i would recommend something longer then 50mm. not sure how large the venue will be but having extra reach can be handy, 17mm is plenty wide for landscape and interior shots. And honestly, your focus is the bride and groom, not "landscape." Wedding move quick. even small ones. you'll be running around trying to get shots of the groom, bride, party, parents, siblings and have little time to wander around looking for landscape shots. Also a second body would be recommended, flash, more memory cards, and a fast 50mm for portraits and low light stuff.
11-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
Are you the main photographer?
The OP is Uncle Bob.

Lens choices aside, is it even a good idea to attend a wedding, as a guest, with the intention of taking enough photos to fill a whole book?
11-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boosted03gti Quote
Are you the main photographer? if so, i would recommend something longer then 50mm. not sure how large the venue will be but having extra reach can be handy, 17mm is plenty wide for landscape and interior shots. And honestly, your focus is the bride and groom, not "landscape." Wedding move quick. even small ones. you'll be running around trying to get shots of the groom, bride, party, parents, siblings and have little time to wander around looking for landscape shots. Also a second body would be recommended, flash, more memory cards, and a fast 50mm for portraits and low light stuff.
Luckily I'm not the main photographer. So this'll just be for fun and help them capture some additional memories. I guess this'll be more of getting some of the behind the scene shots the hired guns won't have time to capture. Less pressure for me

I was thinking the 15mm will be more for ceremony shots.
11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
The OP is Uncle Bob.

Lens choices aside, is it even a good idea to attend a wedding, as a guest, with the intention of taking enough photos to fill a whole book?
The wedding is for one of my long time best friends. I don't imagine scrambling with the wedding photographers trying to get every shot so I have some freedom to choose what I shoot.

I haven't finalized the creative direction of the book yet. But I'll have to see with what pictures I end up with. It's a destination wedding so it should fill up nicely with the wedding, trips in Jamaica, prep, downtime, etc.

But come on, how can I pass on an opportunity to take my K-5 to Jamaica?
11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
HSV
Veteran Member

I guess it's actually better to be a guest photographer than the main one...you can get more practice with less pressure and zero liability.

I would suggest not buying any primes, but a wide aperture telephoto zoom (50-135 2.8 or 70-200 2.8)...which are very versatile and you get a lot of bang for your buck. You'll spend less time changing lenses and more time shooting.
11-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are doing it just for fun I would suggest you bring a tripod, a small external flash, and a wireless flash trigger, with a good fast prime. Then be unobtrusive, but engaging with your subject.
The other thing I would suggest you is to look online for model poses (people generally don't know how to pose, it is good if you have ideas and can give them tips, but it won't work if you tell everyone to do the exact same thing. Unless you do it as a gimmick, in which case it could be cool). There are many websites specializing in wedding photography, you have forums, blogs, that give all sorts of advice. It is also great if you know the venue. That way you can plan your shots ahead of time and bring the equipment you will need for them, instead of lugging around a lot of stuff just in case.
Best of luck!