Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Super-Takumar question...

Is there a considerable difference between the SMC 7 element one and the 8 element super-takumar?

Is this 8 element:

11-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the main difference is bragging rights.

What you've got there is the 7-element version.
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early 8-Element Variant) Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

SMC is sharper -- whatever advantage the 8-element one has (softer bokeh transitions maybe) is very subtle. It is mainly a cult thing.
11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it was the 8-element the red IR mark would be on the other side of the 4. It would also have a protruding rather than flat rear element.

11-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #5

Guys, sorry to talk off-topic here but here is something I have always wanted to ask in PF so I want to point it out. As many of you, including Adam, have commented on the attached photo by iNicole, it shows as a broken image icon on my computer!! Why am I not able to see that photo, anything I am doing wrong?
Its not just this time, there have been many times I haven't been able to see attached photos while others on the forum seem to see them fine. This doesn't happen with all photos though!! Any suggestions?
11-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
SMC is sharper -- whatever advantage the 8-element one has (softer bokeh transitions maybe) is very subtle. It is mainly a cult thing.
No, the 8 element is sharper, it was the sharpest 50 at the time, the SMC handles flare better is cheaper to make and much lighter
11-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by voyager13 Quote
Guys, sorry to talk off-topic here but here is something I have always wanted to ask in PF so I want to point it out. As many of you, including Adam, have commented on the attached photo by iNicole, it shows as a broken image icon on my computer!! Why am I not able to see that photo, anything I am doing wrong?
Its not just this time, there have been many times I haven't been able to see attached photos while others on the forum seem to see them fine. This doesn't happen with all photos though!! Any suggestions?
Are you using the https:// version of this site? Her link is http://, many browsers don't allow non-SSL elements to load while you're on an SSL site. Mine doesn't, I usually just click the "Show Printable Version" and go to the link separately. It is done for security, it isn't a bug.
11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had both SCM 50 (first variant of SMC) and 8 element 50 at some point. The 8 element was definitely sharper. It really is amazingly sharp wide open. I dont know how sharp the last version of SCM Tak is, as I never had one. Ended up selling the SMC and keeping the 8 element Tak just bcs of the way it rendered. One thing to keep in mind, flare is a huge problem with the non-SMC version.

11-08-2012, 07:54 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Are you using the https:// version of this site?
There you are again saviour
That's exactly what had happened and as soon as I took away s from https and reloaded the photo appeared!! THANKING YOU again Elliott