Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
1 Year old DA* 16-50mm AF dies

Well, it finally happened, my DA* 16-50mm died on me yesterday. The AF completely stopped working. I would get a focus confirmation but what I saw through the viewfinder was totally blurred. It would not AF on anything. The AF has been spotty in the past but now it is just totally useless.

I have heard many complaints about the AF on this lens but thought I had a good copy... evidently not. And of course it dies one week before an event at which I would need it.

Calling Pentax in AZ today to see what I need to do and if it is covered under warranty.

11-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should be covered- and the good news is that once they fix it, it should be fixed for good.

Pentax Engineer on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that happen twice and the second time it was a month out of warranty. I emailed Ned Bunnell, explained the situation and they replaced it. The replacement is 3 years old and going strong! Just my ¢¢.
11-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Didn't you know that lens is disposable?

11-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I am really sorry to hear that. Thats one thing I've always been afraid of with my 50-135. I've never done this, but it could be something to think about if you have 1 week deadline.

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2011/01/repair-stuck-sdm-yourself.html#IDComment123311181

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Improved DIY SDM Repair Method!

Here is a link of someone using that method to repair his 16-50mm lens.

http://bangmedia.no/pentax/sdmfix/

Also, depending on how you purchased the lens and if it was new, some credit cards (like American Express i know does) offer an extended warranty for another year after the one of the manufacturer expires. I've never had to use that, but it could be something to look into.

Good luck!
11-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that your lens quit on you. CRIS turned some things around for me in around 2 weeks but folks seemed shocked as we have had much longer waits reported. Is there a chance you can borrow or rent one for your event?
11-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm curious to know how you're getting the focus confirmation if the lens is not focusing, that seems very odd to me. Did you actually take a shot while the green hexagon was showing?

Last edited by elliott; 11-08-2012 at 10:41 AM.
11-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Should be covered- and the good news is that once they fix it, it should be fixed for good.

Pentax Engineer on SDM Failure and Pentax DC - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com
Is that really true? From what I have read the new ones are good but the old ones going back for repair are fitted with the same old sketchy parts.
11-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Out of warranty - Not Covered

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

The repair center indicated that since I bought the lens on June 27, 2011 that it is out of warranty and would not be covered.under warranty.
Since I paid for it with a credit card I do have a one year extension on the lens through my credit card company and have already asked for a claim form from them.
11-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Old motor vs new one...

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Is that really true? From what I have read the new ones are good but the old ones going back for repair are fitted with the same old sketchy parts.
I spoke with a Pentax rep and he was not aware of ANY change in the motors being used, upgraded, new or otherwise. He could only tell me to send it in for repair... well DUH! Yes, I spent $899 on that lens, I will have it repaired but I am not sure I will keep it unless I receive some assurance from Arizona that the repair is with a new motor system rather than the one originally installed.

It is amazes me that of the three people I spoke with no one will admit to a high failure rate on the 16-50mm AF system or that new or improved components will be used for any repairs on that system.

Anyway, the lens is boxed up and ready to be shipped to the repair center in Arizona. The ballpark figure they gave me for repair was "around $200".
11-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are sending the lens to C.R.I.S.?. If so, they are just a hired contractor that Pentax USA has taking care of repairs.
As far as I know, It is not like having direct MFG / importer contact.

Too bad about your lens BTW., it can crank out some good images when functional.