Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter

AF dies on 18-135 WR lens

Hi everyone. Well here is a report that I hope no other owners of the 18-135 WR Pentax lens chime in on: at first my wife's Lens S/N 4100xxx has had it's AF motor refuse to work correctly when making small changes to the AF, like locking at infinity at 135mm or closer at 18mm. We thought it was the contacts so we cleaned them and ran the focus manually a few times using the focus ring back and forth, but it did this several times on vacation in june. Now it's getting more and more sluggish, and nothing gets it going correctly, and I had to add some micro adjustment to it but then the adjustment was way out(I think the micro adjustment was just a symptom). It does this on all three of our bodies, and we did clean the contacts again. Because it was a new type of motor we bought the SageMax 3 year extended warranty from B&H for it so I will contact them as soon I can. We were all hoping the DC motor was not failure prone like some of the SDM are, and this is only one example, but here it is. I will post as soon as we know.

David

11-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the first failure report I've seen for this particular lens- so it's certainly much more reliable than SDM. I would definitely take advantage of that warranty, though. Get them to send you a new lens!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This is the first failure report I've seen for this particular lens- so it's certainly much more reliable than SDM. I would definitely take advantage of that warranty, though. Get them to send you a new lens!
I would think it might be helpful to those of us who've also bought the lens, to post a report of the findings, once you've sent it back and had it repaired or replaced.
11-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
It does this on all three of our bodies, and we did clean the contacts again. Because it was a new type of motor we bought the SageMax 3 year extended warranty from B&H for it so I will contact them as soon I can. We were all hoping the DC motor was not failure prone like some of the SDM are, and this is only one example, but here it is. I will post as soon as we know.
I have one of the early ones, it has had heavy use and it's still chugging along. I'm not sure there is anything made that's failure free. It's a long way from failure free to failure prone though. Sorry it had to happen to you.

11-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sad to hear in two ways - you are inconvenienced and it moves the n on 18-135 failures from 0 to 1 overall.
11-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
At least it's only 1, I just read the post of the guy who bought the 16-50 in like June 2011 and his sdm is out.... How many of those have we heard about?

D&K
11-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Interesting.

A 18-135 failure report is such a rarity, Pentax will probably want Pentax USA to send that lens back to Japan so they can study it!
11-09-2012, 02:37 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, since this is an aftermarket warranty, Pentax might be completely out of the loop, I guess it depends on who they have fix it. I really don't know the answer to that at this time.

D&K

01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well here is what happened: I(David) bought a Sage Max extended warranty on the lens, and they directed I send it in to be fixed. I called 2 months later as the lens was listed as 'waiting for parts', and was told it was sent back to Pentax Japan 6 weeks ago. Sage Max said that that was unacceptable and cut us a check for the entire price of the lens(499.95) + tax! Now as I have posted B&H is not my favorite company, but this warranty just plain rocks and I can't recommend it highly enough. As to the lens itself, I do worry about getting another one but there is really no other choice in my mind for a silent drive WR lens in this focal range.

David
01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Well here is what happened: I(David) bought a Sage Max extended warranty on the lens, and they directed I send it in to be fixed. I called 2 months later as the lens was listed as 'waiting for parts', and was told it was sent back to Pentax Japan 6 weeks ago. Sage Max said that that was unacceptable and cut us a check for the entire price of the lens(499.95) + tax! Now as I have posted B&H is not my favorite company, but this warranty just plain rocks and I can't recommend it highly enough. As to the lens itself, I do worry about getting another one but there is really no other choice in my mind for a silent drive WR lens in this focal range.

David
David, I think failure rates for this lens must be pretty low, yours is the first I have heard of in this forum or DPR, Most people who use one seem to really like the balance of speed, quietness and flexibility and the IQ is pretty good in most cases as you will know yourself. Get another one, you know you want to!
01-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David&karen Quote
Sage Max said that that was unacceptable and cut us a check for the entire price of the lens(499.95) + tax! Now as I have posted B&H is not my favorite company, but this warranty just plain rocks and I can't recommend it highly enough. As to the lens itself, I do worry about getting another one but there is really no other choice in my mind for a silent drive WR lens in this focal range.
Great warranty service for sure. If I were you I wouldn't replace the lens immediately. There may be word soon on the DA* extended zoom shown in the road map. It will be pricey no doubt, but your rebate will help.

The new extended zoom is the only lens that I would trade for my 18-135.
01-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Did you turn the MF ring a lot?

How much is the extended warranty?
If they cannot fix it, they should send the broken lens to you + refund you the money for the lens.
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Mega. You would have to look up the price, I can't remember it now. No insurance company is going to ship back the lens and pay the refund in my experience,

David
01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just found the receipt: it was 58.99$ for the extra 3 year warranty. I think the Sage Max warranty was actually better than the Pentax in that they paid me for the lens rather than repeated fix attempts or long wait period. YMMV,

David