Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Kit lens photos

Hi Folks...
This morning before I took off on a hike, I was looking at my wifes D40 and started to laugh, because her kit lens looks and feels like a toy...So after laughing a bit, I decided to take my kit lens with me...I guess I never really paid attention to it, but in the few times I have used the pentax 18-55mm lens, I have been impressed...
Here are three photos from today and so I would love to see others ''kit lens'' photos as well....A quick peak at the exif will show I was using a K110D...

02-09-2008, 09:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

The instant that you were trying to capture is great, but the photos look a little less sharp compared to a lot of other stuff that I've seen. For a kit lens, the results are really good, but there are better. Nonetheless, the less is quite impressive for the price and market it's designed for. I never warmed up to this lens. I just couldn't do it because once I got my M 50/1.7, I realized that I like shooting with primes so much more. So, that's what I'm building collection with and satisfying my LBA at the same time.
02-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice scenes!

I don't use this lens often, but every time I do, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
D
02-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tux08902 Quote
The instant that you were trying to capture is great, but the photos look a little less sharp compared to a lot of other stuff that I've seen. For a kit lens, the results are really good, but there are better. Nonetheless, the less is quite impressive for the price and market it's designed for. I never warmed up to this lens. I just couldn't do it because once I got my M 50/1.7, I realized that I like shooting with primes so much more. So, that's what I'm building collection with and satisfying my LBA at the same time.
Please don't misunderstand...What I am saying is that the kit lens is not bad for what it is...
Secondly, I was not really going for sharpness or I would have used faster shutter speeds...
Thirdly, had I been after total quality, I would have taken my good glass with me, but I was out to use the kit package...Now if you have some some ''nice sharp kit lens pics'' I would love to see them..

02-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
Very nice scenes!

I don't use this lens often, but every time I do, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Regards,
D
Very nice!!!!, Thats what I am talking about!
I really like that first one.
02-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The instant that you were trying to capture is great, but the photos look a little less sharp compared to a lot of other stuff that I've seen. For a kit lens, the results are really good, but there are better.
Errrrr, yeah, that'd be the long shutter times used to smooth the water, wouldn't it?
02-09-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

that lens is great for what it is. a pack in lens. it's cant go toe to toe w/ primes, or the ltd's, but for a starter lens, it out puts above average stuff, and in the right hands, can be very good.

I've never used any of the other kit lenses from C and N, but judging from what's mounted to those bodies @ best buy and CC, kit wins hands down in just build quality alone.
02-09-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've had Canon equipment before, kit lens was 18-55mm also, but dynamic range, sharpness, colors were not even close to Pentax kit lens. I truly believe that is the best kit lens in it's class!

Regards,
D

02-09-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In terms of build quality, I would say that the DA 18-55 is better than any other manufacturer's basic kit lens. Nikons 18-70 and the older Oly kit lens are probably equal or better, though. The Nikon 18-55 is supposed to be great optically, and the Canon 18-55's (non-IS versions) don't handle CA very well at all.
02-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few that I like with that lens, though not quite up to the OP's level.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
02-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I like them all. Good shots
02-11-2008, 05:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fine little lens. I didn't get one when i bought the K110 or K10. Being the snot that I am over primes. I think that was a mistake so I picked one up here a few weeks ago after selling my FA20mm. Have only used it a little so far but I like it for a street shooting lens and day to day stuff.
02-11-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am surprised with my kit lens as well ... and I resorted to it for fireworks photos a few weeks ago as it is the widest lens I have ... it didn't do too bad I thought.

And a couple of others I took when i first for the camera ... was just playing around learning.
Not the sharpest of images really ... but as I mentioned I was just playing around.

02-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

RE: OP - Pretty good images for F/22 - F/27 at 2 seconds.

I find my Pentax 18-55mm kit lens has a wonderful 'sweet spot' at 35mm - F/5.6 to F/8.0 - very 'prime like' at that setting.
02-11-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I don't use it much anymore but it is as you say, very good for an inexpensive kit lens

Here are some I have handy