Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yeah, depends on what you are shooting. I keep at least one tube in my bag to shorten focus distance if needed...
what i have not tried but would be interesting is the macro focusing 2x TC.

it would give 800mm (although F11) and allow variable 25mm extension tube at same time for close focus

11-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

it would give 800mm (although F11) and allow variable 25mm extension tube at same time for close focus
I had one of those but ultimately found it pointless because you could easily accomplish the same thing with tubes and you'd lose less light. They do give some flexibility in the amount of magnification you dial-in. But that's on short lenses which is what it is designed for. Never tried it on a telephoto -- would make it awfully slow. The previously mentioned Adaptall SP 300/5.6 macro is quite nice though...
11-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have a TX 300 f5.6 coming so I guess I'll have more input on this score soon enough. I've been reading a little online and I don't think it sounds like a bad lens to have at all. In any case this will be my first 300mm prime and it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the zooms I've tried. I'm honestly not sure which mount is on the one Viv zoom I have whether it's TX or T4. Apparently the lens was made in both mounts. But it's coming with one so I think I am okay. We'll see...
11-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

These have a bad rep as a regular TC. I think that is because they lose the adjustment for focus at infinity, not a big deal in macro use but really important for telephoto. I forget exactly how it works but the rubber focus grip is glued over a seam between the two halves, and that's part of the adjustment. Failed glue may mean no infinity focus. Anyway, mine seemed to work fine for telephoto use and worked at infinity.

11-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I have a TX 300 f5.6 coming so I guess I'll have more input on this score soon enough. I've been reading a little online and I don't think it sounds like a bad lens to have at all. In any case this will be my first 300mm prime and it will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the zooms I've tried. I'm honestly not sure which mount is on the one Viv zoom I have whether it's TX or T4. Apparently the lens was made in both mounts. But it's coming with one so I think I am okay. We'll see...
If you need a mount, let me know, the PK ones are hard to find...