Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was having trouble getting my K-x to focus reliably with MF lenses. I didn't want a split screen because of cost, potential metering issues and hassling with shims. I bought the Pentax O-ME53 magnifier from Pentax and it does the trick for me. Five minutes to install and I can focus the K-x as reliably as the the K20D now.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-11-2012 at 03:58 PM.
11-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With my K-r, I can't tell critical focus in the viewfinder. Blame the OVF, or the bad eyesight, or whatever - it just doesn't work for me. I can tell the general focus, but not the precise focus. So I often either check in live view or after taking the shot. I like using catch in focus (CiF) with manual lenses, it tends to be fairly accurate, but keep in mind that the center focus spot is pretty big.
You can get a viewfinder enlarger or a focus screen or both, but I suggest you wait and try your lenses first. Maybe you won't need anything. The thing is, once you start messing with things like focus screen, you have a chance of messing things up.
11-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

If you have lenses faster than f/2.8, then you'll have to change the focus screen... Stock screens does not show actual DoF (and thus focus) with anything faster than f/2.4, so focusing a f/1.4 lens is tricky... Like doing needlework with boxing gloves, you can chance some points, you can even learn to master it, but it's quite hard.

I went from 40% to 95% success rate simply by changing my focus screen for a Canon EE-S (a blank screen made specially for fast lenses). Way better than a split, IMO, and does not mess metering (quite the contrary, in fact, it improves it!)...
Now badly focused shots are my fault only...
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Stock screens does not show actual DoF (and thus focus) with anything faster than f/2.4, so focusing a f/1.4 lens is tricky..
I have no trouble on my 55mm f2. f1.4 would be difficult, though, although not impossible.

11-12-2012, 03:40 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
If you have lenses faster than f/2.8, then you'll have to change the focus screen... Stock screens does not show actual DoF (and thus focus) with anything faster than f/2.4, so focusing a f/1.4 lens is tricky... Like doing needlework with boxing gloves, you can chance some points, you can even learn to master it, but it's quite hard.

I went from 40% to 95% success rate simply by changing my focus screen for a Canon EE-S (a blank screen made specially for fast lenses). Way better than a split, IMO, and does not mess metering (quite the contrary, in fact, it improves it!)...
Now badly focused shots are my fault only...
will this canon EE-S focusing screen fit the kr? krs dont take the same sizenscreens as k5s. if not is there an equivalent size for the kr?
11-12-2012, 05:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cookiies Quote
will this canon EE-S focusing screen fit the kr? krs dont take the same sizenscreens as k5s. if not is there an equivalent size for the kr?
This one would do it. Well worth buying it from focusingscreen.com rather than hacking it to size yourself. Comes with a shim kit, tweezers etc. On my K-7 it needs about +2/3 EV exposure tweak with any lens slower than about f/2.8, none with faster lenses. It is slightly darker than the stock screen but it really works.

Last edited by kh1234567890; 11-12-2012 at 06:18 AM.