Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

question about the da*55

Has this lens always been that expensive? $721 right now!
I want this lens bad, but I've spend almost 3k in the last month since moving to pentax... I am not rich or anything, about to start school and have to work very hard, photography is just a hobby.

It's so funny that I am considering to buy this lens, but I hated the idea of spending $350 on canon's 50 1.4, and in fact settled for the $99 50 1.8.

Pentax is an addiction and is driving my bank account dry, please somebody bring some sense to my mind!

end rambling lol

11-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its 599 if your order from Adorama by phone (or maybe even less!)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Its 599 if your order from Adorama by phone (or maybe even less!)
What! i saw they have a used one for that much, but really with all the problems I've heard of this lens Im scared to buy used or out of warranty!
11-11-2012, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #4

check our prices in europe You will feel better

All my other primes probably will go but only da*55 will stay

11-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

This lens was never cheap and never will be - so what exactly was the question. As soon as you get used to it, it is a great lens for APS-C format. Not to be compared with a 1.4/50 mm lens for full frame...
11-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
This lens was never cheap and never will be - so what exactly was the question. As soon as you get used to it, it is a great lens for APS-C format. Not to be compared with a 1.4/50 mm lens for full frame...
I'm just surprised! how does canon simliar offer is half the price?!
Especially with all the problems people seem to have with this lens.
I wouldn't hesitate at $480-$550. It certainly seems overpriced to me.

I tought there was a price increase at some time and the lens was cheaper in the past, I am new to pentax so I don't know the story behind that.
11-11-2012, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I know I will end up buying it any damn way.
This is not really a complain but just myself wondering how pentax has a power to suck my money while canon never did that to me. They must be sprinkling the cameras with something that makes you an addict LOL

11-11-2012, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vindemiatrix Quote
...with all the problems I've heard of this lens...
I haven't been around here much lately, but I haven't heard anything about problems with this lens.

From my experience with the DA*55, there are only two circumstances I'll turn to another ~50mm lens: I prefer my Leica Summicron when most of the out-of-focus subject matter is in front of the focal plane, and I prefer my Auto-Takumar when I want blooming glare. Perhaps you refer to the SDM problems with the 16-50 & 50-135? Those don't apply to this lens, and incidentally the problem with those other lenses has been fixed for lenses manufactured this year. (And, my own pre-fix 16-50 has only had a few hiccups and performs perfectly so long as I use it at least weekly.)

For background blurring that I have not seen surpassed, even by cinema lenses (that cost tens of thousands of dollars), for crisp high contrast transition handling, and for all-weather knock-about use, the DA*55 is my choice and would continue to be my choice if I had an unlimited budget.

That said, from the above, you can gather that I've spent way too much money on ~50mm lenses. Based on this, I suggest that you use the DA50/1.8, find what its limitations are for you, and only if you find meaningful shortcomings to spend the additional money on a lens that meets those specific needs. I don't recommend buying the DA*55 because other ~50's are so good. The autofocus doesn't seem as fast as other lenses, and, when weather sealing matters, most people will turn to a zoom lens. But, because of how it excels compared to how I use it, it would be the last ~50mm lens that I'd part with and the first I'd acquire again when I had the means.

I think the allure of Pentax products is that they produce excellent but constrained products. Canon's competitor for the DA*55 is a 50/1.2, which is larger, heavier, and twice as expensive--and which, to my eye, sacrifices optical quality for that extra half-stop. Canon doesn't make a weather sealed 50/1.4 with superlative optics because that'd undercut the value of the 50/1.2. Canon wants you to climb their ladder. Pentax has no such worries: their market position seems to force them to design for functionality, and that has won my wallet for more years than I'd like to think of.
11-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

What! i saw they have a used one for that much, but really with all the problems I've heard of this lens I'm scared to buy used or out of warranty!
You are right in wanting a new one with warranty. I went through 1 copy before I got one that was exactly right. There seems to be a trend with these lenses sometimes needing a lot of in-camera AF adjustment. The first one I bought I couldn't even bring in to proper focus with a +10 adjustment so it went back. I was kind of frustrated at that point and didn't order a replacement right away. A couple months later I caught a good deal just when the new rebate came out that caused the price to go up - yeah you heard me right.....when Pentax implemented the current rebate, they forced the retailers to go back to list price. The price of this lens was actually less before the rebate. I got lucky and snagged one for $565 shipped free. This one is absolutely perfect!

As far as buying used from Adorama, they still give you the same 30 days to return for any reason.

I just looked at KEH - they have on rated LN- for $645 - I guess the prices really did go up a lot recently.

Anyway, I would do as Adam suggested - call both Adorama and B&H and see if they will discount it with a phone order. Quite a few members have been successful doing this with DA* lenses.

Here's the pre-rebate prices.....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-camera-lens-rebates-fall-2012-official.html
11-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

What! i saw they have a used one for that much, but really with all the problems I've heard of this lens Im scared to buy used or out of warranty!
The insane $700+ price is online only. I believe the in-store/phone MAP for the 55mm is $599.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The insane $700+ price is online only. I believe the in-store/phone MAP for the 55mm is $599.
I just called adorama and he told me about the floor sample for $599 that comes with everything.. I ended up ordering .

Hopefully I am not making a mistake :P
11-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #12

this is true pro lens, You probably wont regret if you like primes and portrait shots.
11-12-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Rnjoy the lens, it's really good lens. Probably one of the best in Pentax land. Having said that, OOF rendering wide open can get too busy in "right" conditions and AF speed drove me nuts...but it still gave some of my favourite images..
11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Rnjoy the lens, it's really good lens. Probably one of the best in Pentax land. Having said that, OOF rendering wide open can get too busy in "right" conditions and AF speed drove me nuts...but it still gave some of my favourite images..
I've heard that but after toughtful considering between the limiteds and this lens It has the focal lenght and speed I most prefer, and the thin dof and bokeh my style of photograph likes

Can't wait!
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just called adorama and he told me about the floor sample for $599 that comes with everything.. I ended up ordering .

Hopefully I am not making a mistake :P
I hope you will be happy with that lens. I bought my D FA 100 WR the same way from them and it was perfect in every way.