Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Local camera store closeout - anything special about these lenses?

One of the local chain camera stores is clearing out their older SLR lenses and accessories to focus on the point and shoot/SLR kit market, and I figured I might as well see if any of the Pentax lenses they have are of particular interest. The sale may even be my fault as I dropped by a couple of weeks ago to see if the store had any older manual flashes sitting around collecting dust, and that led to an employee digging around through their stock of old/orphaned/unsold equipment and finding several flashes that nobody knew they had.

The equipment that caught my eye, in the $100-120 range is:

Sigma 2x teleconverter, Pentax AF mount

Pentax FA 28-105 F4-5.6 (I need to check back again to see if its the IF, power zoom, or a different variant)

Tamron Adaptall 28-70 F3.5-4.5 (macro?) with Pentax (plus likely also Nikon and one other undetermined) adaptor(s)

The older Pentax branded flash units the store has around are still out of my price range, and the various Canon/Nikon/Minolta etc. lenses and accessories being cleared out don't do much for me.

I had never seen an adaptall lens before, and have no experience with them.
The Sigma 2x converter looks potentially interesting, but the only lens I currently own fast enough to use with it is a manual 50mm F2, and the reviews I've seen for the Sigma 2x converters seem mixed.
The only FA 28-105 review in the lens database is positive, but its for the power zoom model and not the IF.

I don't really have any interest in picking up equipment and flipping it online, I'm hoping more for feedback from somebody who has used any of these lenses. If anyone else from Windsor is interested in any of this stuff, feel free to jump in and pick it up too.

02-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
One of the local chain camera stores is clearing out their older SLR lenses and accessories to focus on the point and shoot/SLR kit market, and I figured I might as well see if any of the Pentax lenses they have are of particular interest. The sale may even be my fault as I dropped by a couple of weeks ago to see if the store had any older manual flashes sitting around collecting dust, and that led to an employee digging around through their stock of old/orphaned/unsold equipment and finding several flashes that nobody knew they had.

The equipment that caught my eye, in the $100-120 range is:

Sigma 2x teleconverter, Pentax AF mount

Pentax FA 28-105 F4-5.6 (I need to check back again to see if its the IF, power zoom, or a different variant)

Tamron Adaptall 28-70 F3.5-4.5 (macro?) with Pentax (plus likely also Nikon and one other undetermined) adaptor(s)

The older Pentax branded flash units the store has around are still out of my price range, and the various Canon/Nikon/Minolta etc. lenses and accessories being cleared out don't do much for me.

I had never seen an adaptall lens before, and have no experience with them.
The Sigma 2x converter looks potentially interesting, but the only lens I currently own fast enough to use with it is a manual 50mm F2, and the reviews I've seen for the Sigma 2x converters seem mixed.
The only FA 28-105 review in the lens database is positive, but its for the power zoom model and not the IF.

I don't really have any interest in picking up equipment and flipping it online, I'm hoping more for feedback from somebody who has used any of these lenses. If anyone else from Windsor is interested in any of this stuff, feel free to jump in and pick it up too.
Hehe, I just looked at same clearance yesterday. Yes, the two 28-105mm are power zoom. If I recall correctly, the one had no front cap, the other had both caps in tact. Dusty though. Both have probably sat in the cupboard for quite some time.
02-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All 3 versions of the 28-105 are pretty good lenses. $120 NIB for any of them, is a really good price. BTW is that CA$ or US$.
02-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
All prices in Canadian dollars, though I think we're within a cent or two of your dollar right now so prices are basically interchangeable.

Rob, I was wondering if you or JCSullivan had already spotted the sale. Pick up anything exciting?

02-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
All prices in Canadian dollars, though I think we're within a cent or two of your dollar right now so prices are basically interchangeable.

Rob, I was wondering if you or JCSullivan had already spotted the sale. Pick up anything exciting?
My two cents.

Take your time there are much better deals out in the wild