Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Ah, well that makes perfect sense. With your interests the choices seem clearer and the 1.7 really isn't a plus for any of those, except the rare birding.
correct, and now I am even thinking getting a FA 300/2.8.. which is even better than using 1.7 on 200mm.. for concerts...

11-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I would keep the 12-24, 31, 43, 77, and DA 300.
Yes to the above, but I would also keep the DFA100, and maybe the Tak135.
11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'd keep the macro, too, but the OP said he rarely shot them.
11-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yen800 Quote
which 100 macro do you have?
DFA 100 macro WR. Loving the size, the build, the results.

I am somewhat not impressed with the DFA macro as it is way too slow (probably due to the missing range limiter)
It's not a fast lens for AF, but when you use it on the short tele range (for portraits, candids, etc) then it shines. the trick is to take control with quick-shift when it's not focusing where you want (your hand becomes the focus limiter). But it's not a sports lens, that's for sure.

I have read it somewhere that macro photographer may want to keep both 50 and 100 macro though, that's why I bought the 50mm but I found out at 50mm I normally shoot portrait anyways... it's too close for product shots... and since 50 and 100 macro are both 1:1, I probably don't need 2 macro lenses...
I decided to limit the number of lenses I own. Never two lenses with the same purpose. That's why I sold the 50 macro.

50 is easier to use for macro, but only with static subjects. 100 lets you get farther from the subject, and that can be necessary. I've never really missed the 50, even though it was a great lens in itself.

I haven't done any pixel comparison between the F* and the DA*, but just a simple "on-the-tripod" comparison, and it seems DA is slightly sharper, even though F has ED element...
If you prefer the Da, then that's the one you should keep.

Considering that you have all those lenses under hand, it shuold be pretty easy to decide which ones you actually enjoy using. Those should be the keepers

11-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
which tak135 you are referring to? super tak or tak? I have used tak 135 in an indoor situation and result was great... never tried the super tak though..
11-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'd keep the macro, too, but the OP said he rarely shot them.
the 100macro? or the 50? I plan to go out and test the two today..
11-15-2012, 08:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
DFA 100 macro WR. Loving the size, the build, the results.

It's not a fast lens for AF, but when you use it on the short tele range (for portraits, candids, etc) then it shines. the trick is to take control with quick-shift when it's not focusing where you want (your hand becomes the focus limiter). But it's not a sports lens, that's for sure.

I decided to limit the number of lenses I own. Never two lenses with the same purpose. That's why I sold the 50 macro.

50 is easier to use for macro, but only with static subjects. 100 lets you get farther from the subject, and that can be necessary. I've never really missed the 50, even though it was a great lens in itself.

If you prefer the Da, then that's the one you should keep.

Considering that you have all those lenses under hand, it shuold be pretty easy to decide which ones you actually enjoy using. Those should be the keepers

I have never tried the 100 macro on portrait, maybe I should give it a try.. most of the time my subjects are moving around all the time.. that's why I was thinking about needing a faster lenses...

I do enjoy using the DA 300 except for moving in and out during cold weather... that really screw me up for quite a bit of time... missed some shots during a function one time..
11-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

most of the time my subjects are moving around all the time.. that's why I was thinking about needing a faster lenses
Then look at lenses with quick AF, instead of fast apertures

I do enjoy using the DA 300 except for moving in and out during cold weather... that really screw me up for quite a bit of time... missed some shots during a function one time..
I'm not sure I understand. You miss shots because the lens has to warm up?

11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #24
Site Supporter

I call dibs on the Mirror adapter!
11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Only you can tell, all well-meant advice is futile.

Step 1: run a focal length analyzer on your collection of files over, say the last year
Step 2: set the top-3 of the list acquired in step 1 aside - you should not get rid of those
Step 3: set the bottom 3 of the list aside - you definitely need to get rid of those unless one of them fills a must-have gap in shooting capability (like a tilt-shift or UWA)
Step 4: in the remainder, try to identify any overlap and compare frequency of use between the lenses in the overlap region but also weigh personal preference

You may want to perform steps 1, 2 and 3 but wait with 4 until a few months after, then repeat the whole exercise.

Once you either cannot make up your mind any more or have no overlap anymore: stop! You have arrived at your destination - please check the overhead bins to make sure you have not forgotten anything.Welcome to Sanity Airport!
11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #26

just let me know if you plan to get rid of the 100mm macro.
11-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I mainly do consider IQ to be an upgrade, is the DA* 55 giving better resolution on digital than 43mm? 55 is an even better portrait lens when it is being used on aps-c as well..
My only experience is with the FA 50/1.4 which I really like. It might not be quite as sharp wide open as the 50/1.7s but it's helped a lot by using a hood. I mostly use it for portraits at f/2.2 and am very happy with the results.

As for 43 vs. 55...

I think the 55 could fit nicely between the 43 and 77...if you feel like you want something in between those FLs. Or if you ditch the 43 for the 55, it could bridge the gap between the 31 and 77.

I have heard the 135/2.8 is a superb lens, great IQ, fast focusing, and on aps-c it would be great for a small telephoto for concert shots as well, that's why I am considering it, since most of them are indoors so I don't need to care about bright sunny days.. I suppose...
That's pretty much the same conclusion I've reached with it. I used it for shooting on a really bright sunny day, and found myself stopping down to f/4 to avoid PF while still getting some PF. I also was in a pretty fixed position so a zoom would've helped. For outdoor stuff especially where I don't have the ability to move myself much, I've fallen back on using my F 70-210/4-5.6 and the F 135/2.8 I use more for the indoor events you're talking about.