Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Phoenix 100-400 f/4.5-6.7

hi
I wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience with the phoenix 100-400. is it a good lens?
I only want to hear from people who have actually used the lens. if you have not used it, please do not reply.

thank you

02-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

there's a good thread on this lens

If you use the search function and keyword "Phoenix", you'll find this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/19270-phoenix-...-opinions.html
02-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #3

I recently bought one. Check out the thread mentioned in the post right before this one. I posted one of the first shots I took with the lens. If you read the entire thread, I also explained where in the back issues of Popular Photography you can find the review of this lens as well as others in the same ballpark. I like the lens. It is not in the class of something like a 400mm f2.8, but it isn't as bad, in my opinion, as some make it out to be. I don't believe there is enough difference between it and the Tokina 80-400 or the Sigma 135-400 to justify the substantial price difference. The biggest downside is the lack of a tripod collar, but the lens is 1/2 pound lighter than the Tokina and a full pound lighter than the Sigma, so it is more hand holdable.

The main problem with the lack of a tripod collar is that the camera and lens do not balance well on the tripod head. Here, I think the key will be to use it on a two-axis panning head instead of a ballhead.

I think the key to getting good images will be to stick with shooting at f8-11, which is where the lens performs best, according to the Pop Photo review. So far, I have been using the lens in TAv mode, with the aperture set to f8 and the shutter to 1/500 or so. The camera then sets whatever ISO is needed to make the exposure. It seems to work like a charm. I am getting results that are good enough for my purposes even at 400mm, which, of course, is 600mm on the k10D.