Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
WR lenses against salt water?

Hi WR lens users, I might invest on WR lenses but I want to know if these lenses are resistant to salt water as well? I like to photograph the sea but salt spray carried by strong wind is a bit problematic...

Any comment?

11-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #2

I have the same question with an additional bit: are the seals of the DA* lenses better than the "plain" WR for this purpose? I'm not sure there's a difference between the two.
11-14-2012, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My setup has endured salt water sprays without any issue whatsoever. That said, I do take extra care afterwards. I whipe it down with some cloth and fresh water, making sure all the salt is gone. We all know what salt water can do to "stainless steel", and I'm not going to be the one to find out what it can do to my precious gear by leaving it there to do its work.

I don't know about the difference between the normal WR and te WR of DA* lenses though. It would be pretty weird if there would be any difference though. If there is a difference then it's a very wicked example of malperformance from Pentax when their WR-users are totally un-informed about that fact.
11-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There shouldn't be any problem with salt water, snow, sand, dust.

11-14-2012, 06:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a sailor, I'm all too familiar with saltwater corrosion. As Clavius suggests, you need to get salt residue out of every nook and crevice of your setup as atmospheric dampness is enough to keep the residual salt active and slowly turning aluminium to powder. Aluminium/stainless steel interfaces are particularly prone as they are dissimilar metals. If you expect to get hit with material amounts of spray, I would be considering employing one of those plastic camera/lens covers, and working on the WR being my second line of defense.
11-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
As a sailor, I'm all too familiar with saltwater corrosion. As Clavius suggests, you need to get salt residue out of every nook and crevice of your setup as atmospheric dampness is enough to keep the residual salt active and slowly turning aluminium to powder. Aluminium/stainless steel interfaces are particularly prone as they are dissimilar metals. If you expect to get hit with material amounts of spray, I would be considering employing one of those plastic camera/lens covers, and working on the WR being my second line of defense.
I will agree. I consider weather sealing a good protection for surprise conditions. If I know I'm going to encounter harsh conditions, I take measures to prevent as much exposure as possible to my camera and lenses and it really doesn't take much effort. A couple of seconds to cover things up will save you cleaning time later even if no damage is done. Salt water is very corrosive over time and affects everything it comes in contact with, even the seals installed to keep it out. It is also abrasive and will cause premature wear on any moving parts. Issues won't show up right away but rather several months to a over a year later. I am a fleet mechanic and have seen every form of "weather sealing" made and it all fails. At best, the weather sealed parts just last a little longer.
11-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the DA* 50-135. I've shot on boats before. Water splashed on it a few times. I always took care of it and wipe it clean afterwards. Never had any problems. Cant comment on WR though as I haven't used those.
11-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Cant comment on WR though as I haven't used those.
Your 50-135 is WR, you know

11-15-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've used the 18-135 WR on a K-5 earlier this year in the splash zone at Sea World.
I just rinsed the whole kit in the drinking fountain afterwards.
No issues.
11-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Extra sealing and post-shoot rinsing, nice.
11-15-2012, 01:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Your 50-135 is WR, you know
I am aware of that, but it is branded DA* not WR, and the OP had a question if the sealing was different between the DA* and WR lens.
11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
I have the same question with an additional bit: are the seals of the DA* lenses better than the "plain" WR for this purpose? I'm not sure there's a difference between the two.
Yes, there is a difference:

DA* lenses are "dust and waterproof" and are more efficiently sealed than WR lenses which Pentax denotes as "simplified weather resistant".
11-16-2012, 12:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm.. My take would be, so long as your gear is within warranty, abuse it by using and keep washing it under tap water everyday... Everytime it "spoils", especially due to water leakage, just send it back to them. Of course, have a back up camera like a Kr or Kx..

Hey, it's as good as having free servicing for up to 6 years depending on warranty, right?