Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Buying a 77?

Is purchasing a 77mm Prime still a good deal even without the $100 rebate?

02-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How could we tell without knowing an asking price?

I have the 77. It is a great lens. Worth the money? Dunno. I think it is a nice lens, but find it very hard to judge whether a lens is worth its cost.

You will need to figure out whether the cost meets your needs... here are some questions to help...

What lenses do you have? What does this lens add?
(If you have a FA85mm/1.4 this lens will not be much new. Otoh; if you have a DA18-55, and a MF135/3.5 this lens will give you really something new!)

What do you want to do?
(If you are after making panorama pictures, this lens will not be the most logical choice. For wildlife or macro photography either. On the other hand, for portraiture this lens is great.)

How often do you use your camera?
(If you are a pro, shooting each day, a greater lens will sooner be worthwhile than if you are shooting three times a year.)

How much money do you want to spend on your hobby?
(If this lens fills your three-year budget, you may think longer than if you have this amount of money available every week...)

Good luck deciding!
02-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

a lens is a life long investment unless you use it as a hockey puck.

its cost is arbitrary, if you cant afford it now, save.
02-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry...Adorama.com's price is $669 now.

After debating about zoom lenses and hearing all the negatives I think that perhaps Primes are the way to go. I would be using this lens primarily for portrait shots.

If I go with lens I would also invest in the FA 31mm F/1.8 and more than likely the FA 50mm F/1.4.

02-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Sorry...Adorama.com's price is $669 now.

After debating about zoom lenses and hearing all the negatives I think that perhaps Primes are the way to go. I would be using this lens primarily for portrait shots.

If I go with lens I would also invest in the FA 31mm F/1.8 and more than likely the FA 50mm F/1.4.
i'm slowly realizing that in this hobby its best to just go for broke, no regrets that way.
02-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it depends

QuoteOriginally posted by Sprags Quote
Is purchasing a 77mm Prime still a good deal even without the $100 rebate?
What do you consider a good deal? AFAIC, this is one jewel of a lens, I'm very happy with the money I spent on mine (and yes I did get it before the rebate expired). But I would still get it w/o the rebate. So for me it was a good deal and would still be a good deal. But I think you have to ask yourself some questions, "what will I use it for?" and most importantly "will it be worth $700 to me?"
It's ok for scenery, not OK for macros, EXCELLENT for short tele, MOST EXCELLENT for portraits. I use mine for floral shots mostly. And I do a lot of florals, so it gets a lot of use, and for me it is worth it. I dearly love the 3D quality this lens gives. But if you are into street photography or sports I'd stay away from it. I would imagine that it would make a good concert lens if the venue isn't too big...or too small, as it is a decent low light performer.
I will say this: it is almost universally a very highly regarded lens. It gets glowing reviews from everybody. It has even been called "one of the greatest AF primes ever made"
sm-02-05-02
When I bought my lens at Adorama (I live in NYC and to the brick and mortar store) the sales person I bought the lens from had this comment. "What is it about this lens? As soon as we get a shipment of them in they get sold really fast. We can never keep them in stock." Which goes to show how popular it is.

NaCl(only you can determine if it is a "deal" or not)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 02-10-2008 at 04:21 PM. Reason: fixed link