Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just got the 43 mm limited. It is a very nice lens for people and groups inside. My 77mm limited is still a favorite prime lens, but sometime it is hard to "zoom" it out enough to capture people without backing through the wall! I do not think the 43mm limited has quite the same pixie dust as the 77mm limited, but the length is often much more convenient plus it costs less. Either would be a fantastic first prime lens. Nowadays, I generally shoot only with prime lenses and not zooms, and the 77 limited is what got me that way!

11-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kiteman Quote
I am being told that I should add a prime
By who? Why?

Will probably use more as my wife and I travel the midwest and the northwest and British Columbia. I would also like to use it for people too. I find the DA 70 highly rated by narrow FOV =19 degrees
It really depends what you want to do with it. If you have zooms, then what you're probably missing the mist is a lens for very low light. In that case, I'd get a 50mm lens, wither a used f1,7, a new FA50 f1,4 or DA50 f1,8.

If you want a prime because you want the highest quality images at a particular focal length you enjoy, then the choice is easy.

If you want a prime "because", then don't spend money that way, and go on longer trips instead.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You do not need to get a prime. It is a matter of wanting.
That I understand
11-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I think a prime is a good idea generally. It makes you think about composition a little more, it has faster aperture, it should deliver better optical performance.. bonus points if it has usable distance scales
11-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I've got a nice range, IMHO, of primes now in AF from Pentax. If I were to go back and buy just one as my first, and for a time only, prime it would be the 35/2.4 - it's just a sweet little lens that is really inexpensive but performs incredibly well. The field of view on it is nearly normal on the APS-C camera too. I find the 50+ lenses to be too tight for normal indoor use and my 15 is great for landscapes but a bit fussy in the house as well. Overall, the combination of great IQ and descent f on the 35/2.4 makes it a real keeper IMHO (and the price doesn't hurt either). That all said, since you have so many zooms you might want to run a batch of your photos through Exposure Plot and see what you most common focal lengths are now, that might help you make a more informed decision on a first prime.

11-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I am very pleased with the zooms that I presently own. I see lots of clarity, sharpness and just spectacular photos with some of these primes that often do not see with a zoom. There is even on the front page of this website----------------------- " Have You Considered A Prime?" Maybe just want to promote sales of more lenses.

I probably shoot more wide angle which would lead to 15 mm, but my zoom is 16mm with DA 16-45. Am I really going to get that much better photo with the prime?

Have you considered a fisheye?

There are not a lot of primes below 16mm

If you like wide angle, maybe a 10-20 is better
11-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
You know, my head is just so full of information right now. Maybe I do have LBA!!!!!!! I do probably need something for low light since my 16-45 is F4. Therefore, I think that DA 35 F2.4 would be good for me to work with for not big pyle of money. You have all been helpful and even have made me laugh----------------- that's a good thing.

I went through this when I got involved in kiting too-------------- now 100+ kites later trying to buy camera lenses. Trust me, not buying 100 of those.

Check out my kite website sometime. My wife needs to reduce some of the photos. You know, kiting and photography go together well----------really!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kiteman

www.colorthewind.org
11-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #22
Site Supporter

I bought a super cheap A 50 f2 just to see how I'd get along with a prime, and I loved the shooting experience. I've added the Helios 44-2, a manual 28mm f2.8, a manual 135 f2.8 and a DA40 to the mix. The 15 ltd. is on my short list. I'll probably never buy another zoom. Shooting with primes is just a different experience. I'd say pick up something cheap just to see if you like it. If you want autofocus, get the 35 f2.4. One thing I look for in a prime is something special. My Helios renders like no other lens of any kind, my 28mm is kind of a funky lens also (it's a Formula 5 lens that I picked up at an antique shop for pocket change). When I got the A50, I hated the manual focus, and it took me forever to get used to it. Now I think I might hate autofocus. Too noisy, never focuses on what I want. The advantage of autofocus is speed. No matter what you pick for your first prime, make sure you get something in a manual focus, just to try out for awhile. You may find you love it.
11-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #23
Forum Member

i'd second the idea of getting a prime to learn more on the picture composition. Getting a manual lens will slow down the shooting time and make you rethink about your picture composition.

11-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #24

You need to reconsider what zoom you use the most, and from that, check if there is a focal length you commonly use, and then decide it there is a prime worth considering within that focal range.
If you are fairly happy with those photos, then it probably isn't worth getting a prime within that focal length as your first prime, and you would be better off spending on something completely outside this range.
However if you aren't completely satisfied, then will it be worth considering, as it won't change your habits as much.
11-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

One of the big things you can do with primes but not zooms is have a nice fast aperture for shooting indoors. For that purpose I'd stick to the 24-50mm range. Some not-crazy-expensive (and AF) ideas...

Sigma 24mm f/2.8 Super Wide II
Pentax F & FA 28mm f/2.8
Pentax DA 35mm f/2.4
Pentax FA 35mm f/2
Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS
Pentax F & FA 50mm f/1.4
Pentax F & FA 50mm f/1.4